1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 2: Trigonometric Substitution, using Z = tan(x/2)

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1

kiz

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2e2jsc8.jpg

2. Relevant equations

25rlguf.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

After substituting:

2cf7axc.jpg

Using
    14wzxiw.jpg
    2yo47qx.jpg

I'm stuck here:
    dzlsp.jpg

I can't seem to find anything online about this substitution. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    I am so glad I have no need to remember any of this. my computer does all the calculations for me :)

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent_half-angle_formula You seem to have turned a '2' into a 'z' in you dx derivation. And you would have to change the limits to 'z' limits instead of 'x' limits if you are going to stick with the variable z. Otherwise just find the indefinite integral in terms of z and change the function back to x.

5. Oct 18, 2009 #4

kiz

Okay, thanks for the help, I'm looking at the solution and it has [tex]1[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] for the bounds, but I do not get that when insert [tex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

EDIT:

I got it, guess im blind. Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook