• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How do you find the centroid of this?

Homework Statement

Find the centroid of the shape formed by the equation y2=x3-x4, the x-axis, and the y-axis.

Homework Equations

A=∫f(x)dx
Mx=∫(1/2)[f(x)]2dx
My=∫x[f(x)]dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on the integral.
I attempted u-substitution and got du=(1/2)(x3-x4)-1/2dx; "parts," trigonometric substitution/identities, and partial fractions don't seem to apply.

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the centroid of the shape formed by the equation y2=x3-x4, the x-axis, and the y-axis.

Homework Equations

A=∫f(x)dx
Mx=∫(1/2)[f(x)]2dx
My=∫x[f(x)]dx

I attempted u-substitution and got du=(1/2)(x3-x4)-1/2dx; "parts," trigonometric substitution/identities, and partial fractions don't seem to apply.
Try polar coordinates.

Try polar coordinates.
I haven't worked in those for a while (I'm not sure I remember how to use them); but I'm fairly certain my teacher wants me to stick with x-y coordinates.

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I haven't worked in those for a while (I'm not sure I remember how to use them); but I'm fairly certain my teacher wants me to stick with x-y coordinates.
You've already tried trig substitutions. Think of polar coordinates as a form of trig substitution.

Besides, what will your teacher prefer? That you kept working with cartesian coordinates and didn't solve the problem, or you converted to polar coordinates and got an answer? :wink:

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

A=∫f(x)dx
Mx=∫(1/2)[f(x)]2dx
My=∫x[f(x)]dx
You swapped ##M_x## and ##M_y##.

Try starting like this:
$$\int x\sqrt{x^3-x^4}\,dx = \int x^2\sqrt{x-x^2}\,dx = \int x^2\sqrt{\frac 14-\left(x-\frac 12\right)^2}\,dx.$$ The last step comes from completing the square. Then try a few more substitutions and see if you get anywhere.