Calculus Analysis for Newbies: Point vs Vector in Rn

In summary: But in other contexts, it might just mean a vector in some other vector space, or even a point in some other space. So, in summary, the different between point and vector in Rn is that vectors can be multiplied by scalars, while points cannot. The definition of derivative in Rn uses both terms, but specifies which one is being used at any given moment. Finally, as a newbie in calculus, you might find a good book on linear algebra helpful.
flyingfrog
hi, I am a newbie in calculus analysis, I have a question when I reading the definition of Derivatives in Rn: I don't know what is the different of point and vector in Rn ? and why some time the definition use point (c) and sometime use vector (u)?

Physics news on Phys.org
We can do "arithmetic" with vectors (add vectors, multiply vectors by scalars) but not with points. Of course, once we have chosen a coordinate system, we can associate a vector with each point (the vector from the origin to that vector) but we can work with points without a coordinate system.

Thank you very much, and I have another question about the proof of derivative in Rn, it said define y0 = f(b) - f(a) , for y0<>0, define y1 = y0/||y0|| then it define H(x) = f(x) * y1, y1 called the unit vector, but then my confusion is how come H(b) - H(a) = {f(b) - f(a)} * y1 = ||f(b) -f(a)||?

and mean while, I found during the analysis class, I am lacking of linear alegbra knowledge, do you have any good book to recommend? again, thank you very much for the help

Does this make it clear?

[tex]H(b)-H(a)=(f(b)-f(a)) \cdot y_1 = \frac{y_0 \cdot y_0}{\left \| y_0 \right \|}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\left \| y_0 \right \|^2}{\left \| y_0 \right \|} = \left \| y_0 \right \| = \left \| f(b)-f(a) \right \|[/tex]

flyingfrog said:
hi, I am a newbie in calculus analysis, I have a question when I reading the definition of Derivatives in Rn: I don't know what is the different of point and vector in Rn ? and why some time the definition use point (c) and sometime use vector (u)?

In my experience, the words "point" and "vector" are used interchangeably in this context. To say that (4,-1,19) is a point in R3 is to say exactly the same as that (4,-1,19) is a vector in R3.

Rn, with the standard rules for addition and scalar multiplication, is a vector space; so points in this space can be called vectors.

So if an author wants to make a distinction of their own between the two terms, they would have to explain what they meant.

The word "point" is also used, more generally, for elements of other kinds of space, spaces which are not necessarily vectors spaces, such as topological spaces, metric spaces, affine spaces, manifolds. The word "vector" is reserved for points of a vector space, that is, a mathematical structure which obeys the vector space axioms. (Don't worry if you haven't studied those other kinds of space yet; they're just different mathematical structures, each kind defined by its own axioms.) Where a particular vector space is understood from the context, "vector" may mean a vector of that particular vector space, such as a vector in Rn.

1. What is the difference between a point and a vector in Rn in Calculus Analysis?

A point in Rn is a specific location in n-dimensional space with coordinates that describe its position. A vector, on the other hand, is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. In Rn, a vector can be used to represent a displacement from one point to another. While points and vectors may seem similar, they serve different purposes in Calculus Analysis.

2. How are points and vectors represented in Rn?

In Rn, points are typically represented as ordered sets of coordinates, such as (x,y,z) for a 3-dimensional space. Vectors, on the other hand, are represented by an arrow pointing from the origin to the coordinates that describe its magnitude and direction. Vectors can also be represented by matrices or column vectors, depending on the context.

3. Can points and vectors be used interchangeably in Calculus Analysis?

No, points and vectors serve different purposes in Calculus Analysis and cannot be used interchangeably. Points are used to specify locations in n-dimensional space, while vectors are used to represent displacements or movements from one point to another. Trying to use points and vectors interchangeably can lead to incorrect calculations and misunderstandings.

4. How do points and vectors relate to each other in Rn?

In Rn, a point can be seen as the initial point of a vector, while the coordinates that describe the point can be seen as the terminal point of the vector. This means that a vector can be used to represent the direction and magnitude from one point to another. Additionally, points and vectors can be transformed through mathematical operations in Rn, such as translation, rotation, and scaling.

5. How are points and vectors used in Calculus Analysis for newbies?

In Calculus Analysis, points and vectors are used to understand and analyze functions and their behavior in n-dimensional space. Points are used to specify input values for a function, while vectors can be used to represent the direction and rate of change of the function. In addition, points and vectors are essential in understanding concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals in Calculus Analysis.