Calculus based question in my physics course. No real physics required though.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a fluid mechanics book that involves calculus and the dot product of two equations. The person initially had trouble understanding how to solve it, but later figured it out by matching the cartesian components and deriving accordingly, resulting in an answer of 3y.
paperweight11
Figured it out! No need to answer. Thanks!

Homework Statement

Hey all, I have a question right at the beginning of my fluid mechanics book but it mostly focuses on calculus at this point. This question in particular is all calculus.

a = xyi + y2j + 2k

∇ = ∂/∂x + ∂/∂y + ∂/∂z

What is ∇ . a [DOT PRODUCT of the two]

Homework Equations

Equations given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming since I'm dotting it that the ∂/∂x would be multiplied by the xyi component and so forth for the rest which would mean just do the derivative of each. For some reason the cartesian i j k get dropped in the solutions when they are dotted up. I don't really understand that. When I do the derivative of each I get:

yi + xi + 2yk

The first yi is from doing the derivative of xyi with respect to x, the second xi is from doing the derivative of xyi with respect to y, and the last 2yk is from doing y2j with respect to y.

^hopefully that made sense. The solution manual makes the dotted product drop all the cartesian parts. It goes:

∇.a = ∂ax/∂x + ∂ay/∂y + ∂az/∂z

= y + 2y + 0 = 3y

Not really sure how this works. Would appreciate any help greatly. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow never mind I just figured it out by myself a few minutes after posting this! I didn't really understand how these derivatives worked but now I understand that the ∇ = ∂/∂x + ∂/∂y + ∂/∂z also has cartesian i, j, and k and you just match that up with the original and derive accordingly. Got the same answer of 3y. Huh, not too bad! Thanks anyway.

1. What is the purpose of using calculus in a physics course?

Calculus is used in a physics course to help understand and solve problems that involve rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration. It allows us to analyze and model physical systems in a more precise and accurate way.

2. How is calculus related to physics?

Calculus is closely related to physics because it provides the mathematical tools needed to describe and analyze the physical world. Many fundamental laws and principles in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the laws of thermodynamics, are based on calculus concepts.

3. What are some common applications of calculus in physics?

Some common applications of calculus in physics include analyzing motion, determining the work done by a force, finding the rate of change of physical quantities, and solving problems related to energy and forces.

4. Do I need to be an expert in calculus to understand physics?

No, you do not need to be an expert in calculus to understand physics. However, a basic understanding of calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals is necessary to fully grasp the mathematical aspects of physics.

5. Can I use calculus to solve real-world physics problems?

Yes, calculus can be used to solve real-world physics problems. In fact, many real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects and the behavior of fluids, can only be accurately described and predicted using calculus-based equations.