Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus book recommendation (CompSci)

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1

nwb

Hi there,

I was looking for something to level-up my knowledge from basic differentiation/integration (I'm a Computer Scientist by degree) to things like multivariable, vector calc and other more advanced concepts.

The problem is that working through definition-theorem-proof i.e. rigorous texts is rather time consuming for me, so I'm looking for something that will give me a working knowledge with a good level of depth discussing the concepts.

Many thanks,

nick

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2010 #2
    The later chapters of James Stewart's Early Transcendentals (I'm going through 6th ed) is a solid book. Easy to understand and not too rigorous.
    http://www.stewartcalculus.com/media/8_home.php

take a look at the drop down in the web links section as it outlines what chapters are in the book. The first 7-8 chapters are single variable, but it may be good to have to refresh your memory.
    You can supplement your learning with the MIT open course ware videos for calculus 2:
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02-multivariable-calculus-fall-2007/video-lectures/

Although I have not used this book, the MIT calc 2 course uses:

Edwards, Henry C., and David E. Penney. Multivariable Calculus. 6th ed. Lebanon, IN: Prentice Hall, 2002. ISBN: 9780130339676.

Ivan

4. Aug 13, 2010 #3
    Edward and Penney 6th edition is a very good textbook. It has got quite a good balance of concept without being too rigorous.

You can get one of
    the Schaum's outlines on calculus too. It has many problems with solutions.

Good luck.

5. Aug 14, 2010 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

I have to disagree about Stewart. I find the prose obtuse and rambling, and the design/layout rather dense. I'm amazed that so many colleges use it. This is coming from a teacher who's tutored in Calculus, not from a student. My preference is Larson -- I think he explains things better, and the text is well-organized and presented. Just MHO.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook