1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus: I can't understand why curl of gradient of a scalar is zero

1. Sep 5, 2008 #1
    (Sorry, the title should read "...why curl of gradient of a scalar "function" is zero)

Of course I know how to compute curl, graident, divergence. Algebrically I know curl of gradient of a scalar function is zero.

But I want to know the reason behind this...and also the reason why gradient of divergence of a vector function is always zero.

This really makes me feeling bad for a long time. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

The gradient of a scalar function would always give a conservative vector field. Now think carefully about what curl is. If you've done an E&M course with vector calculus, think back to the time when the textbook (or your course notes) derived [tex]\nabla \times \mathbf{H} = \mathbf{J}[/tex] using Ampere's circuital law. What is the closed path integral of a conservative field?

I'm wondering about your second question too...

4. Sep 5, 2008 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

Is this true? In Gauss's law, the divergence of the electric field is to equal an arbitrary charge density. I would be surprised if the gradient of an arbitrary charge density is zero.

5. Sep 5, 2008 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]\nabla(\nabla \cdot \vec F) = 0[/tex]

is certainly false. I think you mean

[tex]\nabla \cdot (\nabla \times \vec F) = 0[/tex]

which is true.

6. Sep 5, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi chingcx! :smile:

(curl grad f)x = ∂/∂y(∂f/∂z) - ∂/∂z(∂A/∂y) = 0

Similarly, div curl A = 0
    But (grad div A)x = ∂/∂x(∂Ax/∂x) + ∂/∂x(∂Ay/∂y) + ∂/∂x(∂Ax/∂z) ≠ 0 :smile:

7. Sep 5, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

Hey you're right. Wow I can't believe I didn't even bother thinking about whether it might be correct, as opposed to why it might be correct.

8. Sep 5, 2008 #7
    ya, sorry, I mean divergence of curl of vector function is always zero. Why is that true?

9. Sep 5, 2008 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?