Textbook gives the gradient of a scalar as a scalar

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ENgez
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Background: I am currently reading up on homogenization theory.

I have a simple conductivity model (image attached). u is a scalar function (such as potential or temperature).

The textbook proceeds by giving a series expansion for the gradient of u (image attached). the problem is that the gradient is supposed to be a vector function, and the one given is a scalar (pretty sure that the expression given by the book is the differential)

The fact that the gradient is supposedly a scalar makes the divergence operation in the model undefined, which basically makes all following math in the book unclear to me..

How to makes sense of it?
 
Attachments
  • series_expansion.jpeg
    series_expansion.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 377
  • model_problem.jpeg
    model_problem.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 398
  • series_expansion_div.jpeg
    series_expansion_div.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
Pity we can't read the numbers of the equations; this makes referring to them confusing.

'Thiis series is plugged into the equation' -- study 'the' equation to find out what they mean with ##\nabla_y## and ##\nabla _x## --- my guess is that 's a scalar equation, e.g. for the ##z## component, not a vector equation.

But only a guess, given the little I have to go on.
 
Thanks, I believe I have found the cause of my confusion.

The model problem is 1-dimensional (x is the only free parameter). This makes the gradient a scalar in the sense that it is a magnitude that can either be positive or negative.
This also makes the divergence and the gradient basically mean the same thing.

This seems to make things work out..