1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus I problem I can't solve

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1
    Here's the problem:

[tex]d/dx(f(3x^5)) = 8x^2 [/tex]

Find [tex]f'(x)[/tex]

After applying the chain rule:

[tex]f'(3x^5)(15x^4) = 8x^2[/tex]

[tex]f'(3x^5) = 8/(15x^2) [/tex]

It's not apparent to me how I proceed from here to find [tex]f'(x)[/tex]. I tried dividing the expression on the right by three and taking the fifth root but that does not seem to be right. Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you want to know f(x) without all that "stuff" inside the parentheses, let u= 3x5. Then f(3x5)= f(u) and df/dx= (df/du)(du/dx)= (df/du)(15x)= 8x2. Now you have df/du= (8/15)x. Since u= 3x5, x5= u/3 and x= (u/3)1/5. df/du= (8/15)(u1/5)/31/5. Now just replace u by x to get f'(x)

4. Apr 5, 2008 #3
    Since you want to know f(x) without all that "stuff" inside the parentheses, let u= 3x5. Then f(3x5)= f(u) and df/dx= (df/du)(du/dx)= (df/du)(15x)= 8x2. Now you have df/du= (8/15)x. Since u= 3x5, x5= u/3 and x= (u/3)1/5. df/du= (8/15)(u1/5)/31/5. Now just replace u by x to get f'(x)

I see what you're saying, but isn't du/dx equal to [tex]15x^4[/tex], not [tex]15x[/tex]? That would make df/du equal to [tex](8/15x^2)[/tex]. Therefore, substituting x= (u/3)1/5 gives a result of (8/15)(3^(2/5)/u^(2/5)).

Substituting u by x to get f'(x) would get a final solution of [tex]8/15x^2[/tex], which is what I started with above for [tex]f'(3x^5)[/tex], which I don't think is the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?