Calculus II: Surface area revolving around an axis

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of a surface generated by revolving a function around an axis. The function is y = √(2x-x^2), and the axis is either the x-axis or the y-axis. The person asking for help has already attempted the problem and got an answer of 2π for both cases. They are seeking confirmation on their answer and asking for help to understand the solution if it is incorrect. The expert confirms that the answers are correct and suggests that the discrepancy may be due to the online program requiring the answer in decimal form. The person expresses their gratitude for the help.
think4432
1. Find the area of the surface generated by revolving y = (sqrt)(2x-x^2), x = [0,1]

a. About the x axis

b. About the y-axis

This problem is from the section about surface area revolving around an axis.

I actually did the problem but I am not sure on my answer.

For around the x-axis I got an answer of 2pi. The integral that I set up was integrating 2pi as a constant and then dx from 0 to 1.

For the b part I got the integral of 2pi as a constant and then integrating x / (sqrt)(2x-x^2)

Please see if this is correct, if not please explain to me how it should be done.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you on both accounts.

So this is correct?

Wow. I thought I had done something completely wrong because I got a answer such as 2pi.

But thank you! :]

Chewy0087 said:
I agree with you on both accounts.

Are you sure on this?

Because on the online homework its showing me that it is incorrect?

Maybe its a mistake by the professor?

Please check again? Or can someone else please help?

think4432 said:
Are you sure on this?

Because on the online homework its showing me that it is incorrect?

Maybe its a mistake by the professor?

Please check again? Or can someone else please help?

Yep I'm pretty sure, I've just double checked. If you've written down the right question the answers to both of your questions were correct. What was given as the answer out of interest?

Chewy0087 said:
Yep I'm pretty sure, I've just double checked. If you've written down the right question the answers to both of your questions were correct. What was given as the answer out of interest?

Oh! The program online is just really weird...and wanted me to put the answer in 2* the actual value of pi.

It didn't show me the correct answer right away...so I had to keep trying.

It wanted the answer in a decimal form.

Thank you very much for all your help!

Greatly appreciated!

1. What is surface area in Calculus II?

Surface area is the measure of the total area that represents the exposed region of a three-dimensional object.

2. How is surface area calculated in Calculus II?

In Calculus II, surface area is calculated by using the method of integration. Specifically, we use the formula S = ∫2πy√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx, where y is the function of the curve and dx is the small width of the infinitesimal strip being rotated around an axis.

3. What is revolving around an axis in Calculus II?

In Calculus II, revolving around an axis refers to the process of rotating a two-dimensional object or curve around a line or axis in order to create a three-dimensional object.

4. How is the axis of rotation determined in Calculus II?

The axis of rotation is determined by the axis which the two-dimensional object or curve is being rotated around. This can be a horizontal or vertical line, or any other line in three-dimensional space.

5. Can surface area be calculated for any shape in Calculus II?

Yes, surface area can be calculated for any shape in Calculus II as long as the shape can be represented by a function. However, the integration process may become more complex for more irregular or complicated shapes.