Calculus of Variations-Hanging String

In summary, the problem involves finding the equation for the curve formed by a 2-meter uniform string hanging between two supports of equal height, 1 meter apart. The goal is to minimize the potential energy of the string. Attempts to solve by using the Euler-Lagrange equation and the arc length equation have not been successful. The shape of the curve is suspected to be a cycloid, but further clarification is needed.
mayen
Calculus of Variations--Hanging String

Homework Statement

A uniform string of length 2 meters hangs from two supports of the same height, 1 meter
apart. By minimizing the potential energy of the string, find the equation describing the
curve it forms and, in particular, find the vertical distance between the supports and the
lowest point of the string.

Homework Equations

U = λ g [itex]\int y(x)dx[/itex]
0≤ x ≤ 1
S = [itex]\int\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}[/itex]dt
Euler-Lagrange Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Been stuck on this one for awhile, tried solving naively by just solving the lagrange equation for potential energy and that obviously got me an answer of U = 0. I also tried to solve the arc length equation for y(x) and I got y'[x] = √3, so that is obviously wrong. I'm not sure how to add the constraints of the supports into the equation. I am probably going to have to parameterize y and x in terms of some other variable.

I have a feeling that the shape is going to be a cycloid...just having a hard time proving it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Bump^^^ Can i get a hand with this, i saw a similar question posted, with an unclear answer

What is the "Calculus of Variations-Hanging String"?

The "Calculus of Variations-Hanging String" is a mathematical technique used to optimize a functional, or a mathematical expression that takes in a function as its input. In this specific application, it is used to find the shape of a string that hangs between two fixed points under the influence of gravity.

What is the significance of this problem?

This problem has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering, as it allows us to determine the most stable shape for a hanging string. It also has implications in other areas such as economics, where it can be used to optimize the distribution of resources.

What is the Euler-Lagrange equation and how is it used in this problem?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a necessary condition for a function to be an extremum of a functional. In the "Calculus of Variations-Hanging String" problem, it is used to find the shape of the string that minimizes the potential energy of the system.

What are the basic steps to solve this problem?

The basic steps to solve the "Calculus of Variations-Hanging String" problem are as follows:

1. Formulate the problem as a functional, taking into account the constraints and boundary conditions.
  2. Apply the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the differential equation that describes the optimal shape of the string.
  3. Solve the differential equation to obtain the optimal shape of the string.
  4. Check the solution for consistency and accuracy.

Are there any real-world examples of this problem?

Yes, there are several real-world examples of the "Calculus of Variations-Hanging String" problem, such as finding the shape of a suspension bridge or a cable-stayed bridge, determining the shape of a hanging cable for power lines, and optimizing the shape of a parachute for maximum efficiency.