1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus of Variations (in dire need)

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    Please allow me to preface:

I'm an undergraduate physics student at a small school where upper-level courses are on a two year rotation. So, I'm currently in an advanced Mathematical Methods course for which I lack prerequisites. I'm only concurrently enrolled in differential equations, I've a poor background in calculus and, I've yet to take modern physics--I've only completed the introductory level mechanics and electromagnetism courses.

After a fellow student explained calculus of variations to me, briefly, I realized how startlingly wrong and almost juvenile was my attempted approach to one of the problems. What only adds to my aggravation is that, this course is a distance learning course broadcast from another small school several hundred miles away. So, given all of my previous positive experiences, I'm referring to Physics Forum with hopes of a clear, concise tutorial.

For all those who may contribute, you've my deep and sincere gratitude. Thank you.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A curve y(x) of length 2a is drawn between the points (0,0) and (a,0) in such a way that the solid obtained by rotating the curve about the x-axis has the largest possible volume. Find y(1/2a)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\partial[/tex]F/[tex]\partial[/tex]y - [(d/dx) *([tex]\partial[/tex]F/[tex]\partial[/tex]y' =0 ?

3. The attempt at a solution

∫ 2piF(x) dx - I’m integrating some function, which would just be the function of the curve, so, I’d have to multiply it times two, and then pi to represent the rotation?

Making it a sphere would maximize the volume so, the angle at which the curve would intersect the x axis would be 90 degrees, correct?

So, if I attempt to find a function to represent the changing segments of length of the curve, and I use the formula to take the square root of (1+ y’^2), then make the substitution of y’ = ctn(theta), would my theta be 90?

Or would I try to solve it parametrically?

Or, would I try to solve it like the Courant and Robbins problem where you try to find the maximum path around a sphere?

I would think the diameter of a would be relevant, and the curve lenght of 2a would be the value of the integral for determining a component of the y(x), and maybe I would use a Lagrane multiplier, but, I don't really understand how the variables relate to one another to know how to use a Lagrange multiplier.

Thank you, again.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2
    Your integral is close. The function [itex]y[/itex] represents the radius of some circular cross-section, so the integral to maximize is [itex]\int^{a}_{0}\pi \left(y(x)\right)^{2}~\textrm{d}x[/itex]

With this integral, you should be able to use your relevant equation, though keep in mind that the total length of y is 2a, so you'll have an upper bound. Upper bounds can be dealt with with a Lagrange multiplier like you suggested. If you get stuck you might want to take a look at http://www.mpri.lsu.edu/textbook/Chapter8-b.htm for suggestions on how to approach constrained problems like this.

From this you can see that the maximum volume won't be from a sphere, because in order to have a sphere between 0 and a, your radius has to be (1/2)*a, which makes the circumference of the circular cross-section through the middle [itex]\pi{}a[/itex], and that makes the length of the curve [itex]\frac{1}{2\pi}a[/itex] (since it's half of the circumference).

The sphere is a maximum volume given a particular surface area, but it's not a maximal solution for any given situation. If you didn't have a restriction on curve length in this problem, what would be the maximum area? Would there be one?

EDIT: I just realized that this problem is made significantly easier if you consider the area under y(x), rather than the volume integral I mentioned. What is the relationship between the area under y(x) and the volume of the solid?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook