1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus problem about population count

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculus question about tag and recapture?
    Here is the problem, i tried to do most of it but don't understand what its asking on c and d.
    Tag and recapture is used to estimate populations of animals in the wild. First, sample of animals are captured, number=n. They are tagged and released back into the wild. Sometime later, another sample of animals are captured, number=s. Of the s animals in the second sample t are found to be tagged. The estimate of total animal N is ofund from N/n=s/t.
    Supposed n=100, s=60, t=15. In the second sample 1/4 of the animals were tagged.
    a) what is the total animal population based on these results.
    i got 400
    b) what is dN/dt of n=100 s=60 t=15
    i got -26.67 idk what the negative is saying. i said N=ns/t and dN/dt= -st/t^2 i hope its right.
    c) what is the differential change in N if one more animal had been captured in the second sample and it was found to be tagged. express your answer in whole animals. I dont really understand the equation so i dont know what to do.
    i just substitued the 100 for n and 61 for s and 16 for t for the dN/dt= -st/t^2 equation and got -23.83
    d) what is the the differential change in N if one more animal had been captured in the second sample and it was not found to be tagged. This is almost the same as c so i dont know.
    Please help me atleast understand what c and d is asking. and how to start it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct.

You mean, I think, dN/dt= -sn/t^2. Now, evaluate that at n=100, s= 60, t= 15.

"s" was the number of animals in the second saple and t was the number tagged.
    "if one more animal had been captured in the second sample and it was found to be tagged"
    So replace s with s+ 1 and t with t+ 1. That is, s= 61 and t= 16, just as you say.

Yes, it is the same. Now s= s+1= 61 but t remains 15.

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    thank you very much, but just few questions. Why is the answer for c and d are negative? and when it says express your answer in whole animals, i subtract 23.83 from 26.67 and get 2.84. Is the answer 2 or 3?

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

(c) and (d) ask for derivatives- the rate at which the populations are changing. If those derivatives are negative, it means the populations are declining. "2.84" is closer to 2 than to three so would be rounded up to 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted