1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Review - Tangent of function and find y-intercept

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider g(ξ) = [(2H)/π] arctan(ξ).
    Plot a graph of the function g(ξ).
    Imagine a line that passes through the point on the curve at ξ0 = 1.30, and which is tangent to the curve at that point. Where does the tangent line intersect the vertical axis?
    [DATA: H = 2.00 ; ξ0 = 1.30 .]

2. Relevant equations
    y=mx+b

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly I know that H=2 so I can easily simplify the question to (4/π)*arctan(ξ).

I then want to find the slope so I take the derivative of that function and get 4/(πξ^2+π) then plug in ξ=1.3 to find the slope at that point. The result is: 0.473323

I can also plug ξ=1.3 in to the original equation to find the y value at that point. The result is: 1.16514

Plugging in those values to y=mx+b I get 1.16514=(.473323)(1.3)+b. The resulting y-intercept (b) is 1.89.

Unfortunately, this is not correct! I am obviously making a silly mistake somewhere. Is anyone able to point out what I did wrong?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't evaluate y = mx + b correctly.

If y = 1.16514 and mx = 0.473323*1.3, then b must be less than 1.16514

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3
    I really have no idea what to say. I'll start with a thank you. Sometimes the most obvious things...

5. Sep 11, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome. Good luck with the rest of your review.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted