1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    Greetings, I'm a 4th year physics undergrad, hoping to avoid entering a 5th. Using 2nd edition of Callen for Thermo class in upper div. I'm having a real hard time solving any problem in this book. I haven't had nightmares over homeworks since my math methods class which used Arfken. The problem is just ..I dont seem to have the pre-requisite understanding of thermodynamics / statistical physics. Lecture also covers different topics (yes, really.) I am going to post up a couple problems, not really looking for answers but maybe what I should've read up on first before I tried this problem. This is from the 2nd edition of callen. I have a lot of other problems I just think i'd ask about the worst one first.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

19.3-6. Consider a small quantity of matter consisting of a fixed number N moles in a large fluid system. Let ρN be the average density of these N moles: the mass divided by the volume. Show that equation 19.17 implies that the density fluctuations are

<(ΔρN)^2> / (ρN)^2 = + kb * T * κt / V

in which V is the average volume of the N moles.

--
    ok , i can't seem to understand the sigma symbol, so let me explain

kb is the boltzmann constant
    κt is k-sub-t (subscript), i actually dont know what this is.
    ΔρN has a hat ( a ^ symbol) on the ρ
    ρN is ρ-sub-N (subscript)

2. Relevant equations

eq 19.17 is:

<(ΔV-hat)^2> = -kb T (dv/dp)t,N1,... = kB T V κT

3. The attempt at a solution

I met up with 4 other students and we tried to make sense of it. It doesnt . Read the Callen chapter which is bewildering. Other than ch 19, we went over ch 1-7. I tried reading the other chapters before it. Went home trying to work on it. Tried to just replace ρ with M/V throughout the problem, hoping it would be a plug-and-chug answer. Tried to reverse engineer the goal-equation to see what needs doing (it seems like multiply both sides by M/V^3... can't recall off-hand.. it was something that made no sense. After that I began reading about fluctuations and stat mech online... also didnt help. Basically after that I started trying to just look the answer up somewhere, and that wasnt fruitful. I have..an empty sheet, because I dont even know where to start. I considered maybe attacking the (dv/dp) term in 19.17 since we have been doing manipulations like that up until now, but I am not very sure of what I am doing with that anyway.

So..I'm sure someone knows how to nail this problem. Can I be provided with some maybe useful links and advise on how to solve it? I mean, I feel like I just dont have the tools. Maybe there is a concept of thermodynamics I missed badly along the way somewhere. I love my professor but wow this problem has made me suffer.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Equation 19.17 is
    [tex]\langle (\Delta \hat{V})^2 \rangle = -k_B T\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_{T, N_1, \dots} = k_B T V \kappa_T[/tex]where
    [tex]\kappa_T = -\frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_T[/tex]is the isothermal compressibility (see page 84).

The density is equal to [itex]\hat{\rho}_N = N/\hat{V}[/itex], and its average value is [itex]\rho_N = N/V[/itex], where V is the average volume. Therefore, the fluctuation in density is
    [tex]\Delta \hat{\rho}_N = \hat{\rho}_N - \rho_N = \frac{N}{\hat{V}} - \frac{N}{V}[/tex]Try using [itex]\hat V = V + \Delta \hat V[/itex] and expanding the first term to first order in [itex]\Delta \hat V[/itex].

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3
    An expansion! I should've known.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook