Camera near the speed of light

In summary: And part of understanding relativity is understanding that things don't look any different depending on your velocity, this is one of the fundamental principles.
HallsofIvy said:
For example, suppose you are standing on the side of a road, with a baseball catcher's mitt.
Standing on the back of a flat bed truck, moving toward you at 40 mph, I throw a baseball to you with, relative to me, a speed of 60 mph. By Newtonian theory, the baseball would have a speed, relative to you, of 60+ 40= 100 mph. By relativity, the baseball's speed relative to you would be very slightly less than 100 mph but the difference would be too small to measure.

If I were to shine a light toward you with, relative to me, speed c, by Newtonian theory, the speed of that light, relative to you, would be c+ 40. But, according to relativity, the speed of that light, relative to you, would still be c. That is what is meant when we say that the speed of light, relative to any observer is c.

That part I understand. No matter whes your velocity is or my velocity is, light will always be measured at c. c, when it comes to the motion of ANY observer, is constant, its not an additive or multiplicative(sp?) property.

This may be a bit out there, but why is that? Is there a known mechanism for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
tkav1980 said:
This may be a bit out there, but why is that? Is there a known mechanism for this?

It is a postulate. It is not shown; it is supposed.

"If this were the case, what would we see?"

Turns out, if it were the case, what we should see describes exactly what we do see. SR is a spectacularly accurate model of how our universe seems to work. That makes it probably right. More accurately, it makes it right enough that we can proceed with a subsequent century (so far!) of excellent science without it ever failing us.

DaveC426913 said:
Distant galaxies billions of ly away near the edge of the observable universe.

Yea that's what I woulda guessed.

And that's comparable to the spaceship traveling at nearly c flying by a planet? (rhetorical)

nitsuj said:
Yea that's what I woulda guessed.

And that's comparable to the spaceship traveling at nearly c flying by a planet? (rhetorical)

Yes.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes.

wow,

So with billions of LY inbetween us and the distant galaxy, doesn't expanding space account for the majority of the "speed".

I find it pretty funny to think that some galaxies out there travel at near c speeds, through space. ? what would propel them to those speeds?

But yup I hear you Dave, just like a spaceship, well comparable enough to draw conclusions as has been in this thread.

I may as well go back to reading Brian Greene.

Last edited:
nitsuj said:
doesn't expanding space account for the majority of the "speed".
It does. But the 'how' doesn't affect the 'what'.

DaveC426913 said:
It does. But the 'how' doesn't affect the 'what'.

And I don't believe that. The difference between the to are immense.

So dave, I sure you believe then that galaxies can travel FTL, since the how doesn't affect the ?.

nitsuj said:
And I don't believe that. The difference between the to are immense.

So dave, I sure you believe then that galaxies can travel FTL, since the how doesn't affect the ?.
I said nothing about FTL.

The point is, us moving at .99c (relative to some planet, say, Earth) and trying to take a picture - is identical to us stationary with Earth moving at .99c and trying to take a picture.

We can prove this to ourselves easily, because there are currently things that are moving wrt to us at .99c (which means we are moving .99c wrt them), so why would we suddenly be unable to use a camera?

So:

A spaceship traveling away from us at .99c will see us traveling away from them at .99c. That fact that they see us moving at .99c does not in any way affect us being able to take pictures with a camera.

A galaxy traveling away from us at .99c will see us traveling away from them at .99c. That fact that they see us moving at .99c does not in any way affect us being able to take pictures with a camera.

DaveC426913 said:
I said nothing about FTL.

The point is, us moving at .99c (relative to some planet, say, Earth) and trying to take a picture - is identical to us stationary with Earth moving at .99c and trying to take a picture.

We can prove this to ourselves easily, because there are currently things that are moving wrt to us at .99c (which means we are moving .99c wrt them), so why would we suddenly be unable to use a camera?

So:

A spaceship traveling away from us at .99c will see us traveling away from them at .99c. That fact that they see us moving at .99c does not in any way affect us being able to take pictures with a camera.

A galaxy traveling away from us at .99c will see us traveling away from them at .99c. That fact that they see us moving at .99c does not in any way affect us being able to take pictures with a camera.

I think, actually accelerating a spaceship to nearly c is vastly different then saying well, some massive object out the is moving that fast (which there isn't) so it's all the same because it's relative.

My comment about galaxies traveling FTL has the same basis as your comment regarding galaxies traveling near c (space expanding/very long distances/very old galaxies), so I assumed you'd agree it's true.

nitsuj said:
I think, actually accelerating a spaceship to nearly c is vastly different then saying well, some massive object out the is moving that fast (which there isn't) so it's all the same because it's relative.
It is vastly different in many ways, but it is not vastly different in a way relevant to the discussion.

<h2>1. How does a camera near the speed of light capture images?</h2><p>As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and time slows down. This means that the camera's shutter speed and image processing will also slow down, making it difficult to capture clear images. Additionally, the camera's optics may have to be adjusted to account for the effects of relativity.</p><h2>2. Can a camera actually travel at the speed of light?</h2><p>No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.</p><h2>3. How does the speed of light affect the quality of images captured by a camera?</h2><p>As the camera approaches the speed of light, its ability to capture clear images decreases due to the effects of relativity. The images may appear distorted or blurry, and the camera's ability to process and store the images may also be affected.</p><h2>4. What are the practical applications of a camera near the speed of light?</h2><p>A camera near the speed of light may have practical applications in astrophotography, where capturing images of objects moving at high speeds is necessary. It could also be used in scientific experiments, such as studying the effects of relativity on imaging technology.</p><h2>5. How does the speed of light affect the storage of images captured by a camera?</h2><p>As the camera nears the speed of light, the images it captures will have a higher energy and require more storage space. This is because the photons in the image will have a higher frequency and shorter wavelength, resulting in a larger file size. Additionally, the camera's ability to process and store the images may be affected due to the effects of relativity.</p>

1. How does a camera near the speed of light capture images?

As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and time slows down. This means that the camera's shutter speed and image processing will also slow down, making it difficult to capture clear images. Additionally, the camera's optics may have to be adjusted to account for the effects of relativity.

2. Can a camera actually travel at the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

3. How does the speed of light affect the quality of images captured by a camera?

As the camera approaches the speed of light, its ability to capture clear images decreases due to the effects of relativity. The images may appear distorted or blurry, and the camera's ability to process and store the images may also be affected.

4. What are the practical applications of a camera near the speed of light?

A camera near the speed of light may have practical applications in astrophotography, where capturing images of objects moving at high speeds is necessary. It could also be used in scientific experiments, such as studying the effects of relativity on imaging technology.

5. How does the speed of light affect the storage of images captured by a camera?

As the camera nears the speed of light, the images it captures will have a higher energy and require more storage space. This is because the photons in the image will have a higher frequency and shorter wavelength, resulting in a larger file size. Additionally, the camera's ability to process and store the images may be affected due to the effects of relativity.