Can a 3D object displace a 4D object?

• I
  • Thread starter sheller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d 4d
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the 4th dimension and whether it can be displaced by objects in the 3rd dimension. The question is clarified by simplifying it to whether a 2D object in 3D space can displace a 3D object. The answer to this question is more complex and requires further explanation.
sheller
I was just thinking about this randomly today. I feel like the answer is that it "does" and it "doesn't." A math teacher I had said that the 4th dimension is perpendicular to everything and anything in the 3rd, so does that mean that it can't be displaced, or is the answer more complicated than that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sheller said:
I was just thinking about this randomly today. I feel like the answer is that it "does" and it "doesn't." A math teacher I had said that the 4th dimension is perpendicular to everything and anything in the 3rd, so does that mean that it can't be displaced, or is the answer more complicated than that?
Your question doesn't make any sense. For two objects to interact, they have to exist in the same space. To simplify your question, "Can a 2D object (in three-dimensional space) displace a 3D object?"

Now, with the question simplified to a space that we can comprehend, what do you mean by "displace an object"?

Likes fresh_42

1. Can a 3D object physically touch or interact with a 4D object?

No, a 3D object and a 4D object exist in different dimensions and therefore cannot physically interact with each other. Just as a 2D object cannot interact with a 3D object, a 3D object cannot interact with a 4D object.

2. Is it possible for a 3D object to exist within a 4D object?

No, a 3D object cannot exist within a 4D object because they exist in different dimensions. Just as a 2D object cannot exist within a 3D object, a 3D object cannot exist within a 4D object.

3. Can a 3D printer create a 4D object?

No, a 3D printer can only create objects in three dimensions. It is not capable of printing in the fourth dimension, which is time. Therefore, it cannot create a 4D object.

4. Can we perceive a 4D object with our 3D vision?

No, our vision is limited to perceiving objects in three dimensions. We cannot perceive or visualize a 4D object with our 3D vision. It would require a different way of perceiving or understanding to be able to visualize a 4D object.

5. Is it possible for a 3D object to travel through time like a 4D object?

No, a 3D object is confined to existing in the present moment and cannot travel through time like a 4D object. Time is considered the fourth dimension, and a 3D object does not have the ability to move through it.