Can a 400V 2200µF capacitor propel 0.5g through a rail gun?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's plan to conduct an academic experiment involving an electromagnetic projectile. They are unsure if their planned use of a 400V 2200µF capacitor is sufficient to propel a 5 mm ball bearing and are considering alternative options such as a Gauss or coil gun. The conversation also mentions the importance of proper theoretical preparation and the potential danger of working with high voltages.
Alexander Stroborg
I am planning to conduct an academic experiment involving an electromagnetic projectile.

I originally planned to build a rail gun powered by a 400V 2200µF capacitor, I've read a lot of discussions that say rail guns require a tremendous amount of current. Is this capacitor sufficient to propel a 5 mm ball bearing weighing in at 0.5g? I am not expecting to break the sound barrier, just enough to notice an acceleration; of course the projectile will have an initial velocity not to weld the projectile to the rails.

I've had doubts because of this and am thinking about a Gauss or coil gun as it typically requires less current. I have a bench power supply capable of 30V 6A or 60V 3A. Assuming the initiation and termination of the current in the coil gun is timed perfectly, will the rail gun or coil gun accelerate the projectile to a greater velocity?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF.
Before you ask for an answer to this one, have you calculated
1. The amount of Kinetic energy your ball bearing needs.
2. How much Electrical Energy your Capacitor will hold once it's fully charged?
Those formulae are easy to find with a quick Google search and they will give you an answer. You are proposing an "academic" experiment so a good academic initial approach to the problem would be worth while.
1. and 2. will give you two equations for Energy. You can combine these equations and find a value for the maximum v you can expect, under ideal conditions.
What information have you gathered so far about the details of rail gun construction? The more theoretical preparation, the better chance you have that the gun you actually construct will work and not just kill your power supply.

Alexander Stroborg said:
I am planning to conduct an academic experiment involving an electromagnetic projectile.

I originally planned to build a rail gun powered by a 400V 2200µF capacitor, I've read a lot of discussions that say rail guns require a tremendous amount of current. Is this capacitor sufficient to propel a 5 mm ball bearing weighing in at 0.5g? I am not expecting to break the sound barrier, just enough to notice an acceleration; of course the projectile will have an initial velocity not to weld the projectile to the rails.

I've had doubts because of this and am thinking about a Gauss or coil gun as it typically requires less current. I have a bench power supply capable of 30V 6A or 60V 3A. Assuming the initiation and termination of the current in the coil gun is timed perfectly, will the rail gun or coil gun accelerate the projectile to a greater velocity?
Welcome to the PF, Alexander. :smile:

We have a rule here about not allowing dangerous discussions, and when a person with little electronics experience asks for advice on how to build a rail gun or coil gun, that is a red flag for us. Please start with some safer projects that are not focused on releasing large amounts of energy in such a short time, and that don't involve voltages over about 60V ("SELV"). Thread is closed.

1. How does a capacitor propel an object through a rail gun?

A capacitor stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. When the capacitor is connected to the rails of a rail gun, the electric field creates a force that accelerates the object placed between the rails.

2. What is the significance of a 400V 2200µF capacitor in a rail gun?

The voltage and capacitance of a capacitor in a rail gun determine the amount of stored energy. A 400V 2200µF capacitor can store a significant amount of energy, allowing for a powerful launch of the object through the rail gun.

3. Can a 400V 2200µF capacitor propel any object through a rail gun?

No, the mass and size of the object must be taken into consideration. The object must be lightweight and small enough to fit between the rails of the rail gun in order to be propelled by the capacitor's energy.

4. Is a 400V 2200µF capacitor the most efficient choice for a rail gun?

It depends on the specific design and purpose of the rail gun. Other factors such as the desired velocity and distance of the object to be propelled may also affect the choice of capacitor.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a 400V 2200µF capacitor in a rail gun?

Yes, there are potential safety hazards when handling high voltage capacitors. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate protective equipment when working with a rail gun powered by a 400V 2200µF capacitor.