Can a capacitor discharge as a result of being struck?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
emrock
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
I am curious if a large capacitor on the verge of discharge could be put over the edge by physically hitting it.
I am curious if a large dielectric capacitor on the verge of discharge could be put over the edge by physically hitting it.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Definition; capacitance = charge / voltage.
If the impact lowers the capacitance then the voltage must increase.

But I would expect an impact to reduce the dielectric thickness, which would increase the capacitance, so lower the voltage.

But it is possible that physical oscillation could rebound to lower capacitance momentarily.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: emrock and sophiecentaur
Depends on what you mean by "hitting it". A light tap, mighty hit with a large object or putting a bullet through.
!: light tap i would expect no effect. 2; Mighty hit would deform or puncture I would expect it to discharge in a fashion dependent on its size. 3: bullet(or metal rod puncture) would discharge as per previous.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: emrock
What do you mean by discharge? An arc through the dielectric? This has as much to do with dielectric strength (when abused?) as it has to do with capacitance. It will of course depend entirely on what sort of dielectric and what is done to it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: emrock and berkeman