Can a direction cosine squared be negative?

In summary: Is that the case for the original question as well? Or perhaps they just forgot this relation and only wanted to test if I knew sum of direction cosines is 1? Because the observation that one of it is negative is a secondary one derived after getting the answer in the first place and wasn't noticed by the...
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A line makes some angle T with each of x and z axis, and angle U with y-axis so that sin^2(U)=3sin^2(T).

Homework Equations

2cos^2(T)+cos^2(U)=1 ...(i)
cos^2(x)+sin^2(x)=1

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above two eqns. give us the correct value for cos^2(T) which is 3/5 as per my textbook but plugging it back into (i) gives us cos^2(U)= -1/5. Am I wrong somewhere or is it a mistake in the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

A line makes some angle T with each of x and z axis, and angle U with y-axis so that sin^2(U)=3sin^2(T).

Homework Equations

cos^2(x)+sin^2(x)=1

Using the above two eqns. give us the correct value for cos^2(T) which is 3/5 as per my textbook but plugging it back into (i) gives us cos^2(U)= -1/5. Am I wrong somewhere or is it a mistake in the book?

How are you getting ##\cos^2 T = \frac35##? Clearly that is too large, given your first equation.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

cos^2(x)+sin^2(x)=1

Of course for ##\ \cos(U) \ ## having a real number value, its square cannot be negative. Something's wrong.

The maximum value of sin2 U is 1, when U = 90°. Then T is ±45° and sin2 T =1/2, so your initial equation must be wrong.

PeroK said:
How are you getting ##\cos^2 T = \frac35##? Clearly that is too large, given your first equation.
sin^2(U)=3sin^2(T). is given- change it to cos^2 and it gives us this

SammyS said:
Of course for ##\ \cos(U) \ ## having a real number value, its square cannot be negative. Something's wrong.
Must've been a mistake in the book, thank you very much

mjc123 said:
The maximum value of sin2 U is 1, when U = 90°. Then T is ±45° and sin2 T =1/2, so your initial equation must be wrong.
Alright, Thank you for your help :D

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Must've been a mistake in the book, thank you very much
Does the book give a result for ##\ \cos(U) \,,\text{or } \cos^2(U) \,?##

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
sin^2(U)=3sin^2(T). is given- change it to cos^2 and it gives us this

Where did the ##3/5## come from?

PeroK said:
Changing the given equation in sin to cos we get 3cos^2(T)-cos^2(U)=2. Using 2Cos^2(T)+Cos^2(U)=1 we have 2 equations in two variables, adding both gives cos^2(T)=3/5

SammyS said:
The book says cos^2(T)=3/5. which gives a negative value of cos^2(U)

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Using 2Cos^2(T)+Cos^2(U)=1

Where does this equation come from?

SammyS said:
PeroK said:
mjc123 said:
There seems to be another anomaly, which is perhaps connected- there is a mcq saying- "A line OP through origin is inclined at 30 and 45 degrees respectively to OX and OY. The angle at which it is inclined to OZ is given by?" And the correct option given is "Not any angle" even though using the same equation ∑cos^2(θ)=1 gives us 3/4 + 1/2 +cos^2(x)=1 which again gives a negative value of cos^2(x)

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
There seems to be another anomaly, which is perhaps connected- there is a mcq saying- "A line OP through origin is inclined at 30 and 45 degrees respectively to OX and OY. The angle at which it is inclined to OZ is given by?" And the correct option given is "Not any angle" even though using the same equation ∑cos^2(θ)=1 gives us 3/4 + 1/2 +cos^2(x)=1 which again gives a negative value of cos^2(x)

Okay, I understand now. You can see that the two cones implied by those angles do not intersect, so no such line exists.

PeroK said:
Okay, I understand now. You can see that the two cones implied by those angles do not intersect, so no such line exists.
Is that the case for the original question as well? Or perhaps they just forgot this relation and only wanted to test if I knew sum of direction cosines is 1? Because the observation that one of it is negative is a secondary one derived after getting the answer in the first place and wasn't noticed by the question-setter

Likes PeroK
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Is that the case for the original question as well? Or perhaps they just forgot this relation and only wanted to test if I knew sum of direction cosines is 1? Because the observation that one of it is negative is a secondary one derived after getting the answer in the first place and wasn't noticed by the question-setter

Your guess is as good as mine.

Likes SammyS
PeroK said:
Your guess is as good as mine.
Thank you very much, I am quite sure now that that is the case

1. Can a direction cosine squared be negative?

No, a direction cosine squared cannot be negative. The range of direction cosine squared is always between 0 and 1, inclusive.

2. What is a direction cosine squared?

A direction cosine squared is a mathematical measurement used in geometry and physics to represent the squared value of the cosine of an angle between two vectors. It is often used to determine the orientation and direction of a vector in three-dimensional space.

3. How is a direction cosine squared calculated?

To calculate a direction cosine squared, you would first find the cosine of the angle between the two vectors and then square the result. This can be done using a calculator or by hand using trigonometric equations.

4. What does a negative direction cosine squared represent?

A negative direction cosine squared does not have a physical meaning. It is not possible for the squared value of a cosine to be negative, as the cosine function has a range of -1 to 1. If a negative value is obtained, it may be an error in calculation or a misunderstanding of the concept.

5. Can a direction cosine squared be greater than 1?

No, a direction cosine squared cannot be greater than 1. As mentioned before, the range of direction cosine squared is between 0 and 1. If a value greater than 1 is obtained, it may be an error in calculation or a misunderstanding of the concept.