How can the integral of cosine squared be differentiated with respect to x?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 4K views
azatkgz
Messages
182
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{x^3}^{e^x}cost^2dt[/tex]



The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\int cost^2dt=\frac{sint^2}{2t}+\int\frac{sint^2}{2t^2}dt[/tex]
[tex]\int\frac{sint^2}{2t^2}dt=-\frac{sint^2}{2t}+\int cost^2dt[/tex]
I came back to initial integral.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That can happen with some of your choice for u and dv whilst doing integration by parts, the second time you apply it use different choices.
 
Differentiate it, don't try to integrate it!
 
I think he needs to evaluate the integral to be able to do that doesn't he >.<
 
Nope.
Here's how to do it properly:
Let F(t) be an antiderivative of f, F'(t)=f(t).
Thus, we have:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)}f(t)dt=\frac{d}{dx}(F(b(x))-F(a(x)))=F'(b(x))b'(x)-F'(a(x))a'(x)=f(b(x))b'(x)-f(a(x))a'(x)[/tex]

As you can see, you do not need the explicit form of F, only the guarantee that some such F exists..:smile:
 
Gib Z said:
I think he needs to evaluate the integral to be able to do that doesn't he >.<
No. The integrand does not involve x. Simply apply the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Hint:
[tex] \frac{d}{dx}\int_{x^3}^{e^x}\cos t^2dt =<br /> \frac{d}{dx}\int_0^{e^x}\cos t^2dt \;\;-\;\;<br /> \frac{d}{dx}\int_0^{x^3}\cos t^2dt[/tex]
 
Last edited:
So tha answer is
[tex]2e^xsine^{2x}-6x^5sinx^6[/tex]
yes?
 
ok ok,my mistake
[tex]2e^{2x}cos(e^{2x})-6x^5cos(x^6)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Eeh??
Where do you get that 2-factor from??
 
if we put [tex]e^x[/tex] to t shouldn't it be [tex]e^{2x}[/tex]
 
I'm talking about the 2-factors in front of the cosine's, not the ones within the arguments.
 
I typed wrongly instead of [tex]e^{2x}[/tex],I typed [tex]e^{x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(e^{2x})=2xe^{2x}[/tex]
This 2 are you asking ?
 
What is a(x), and what is b(x); what are their derivatives?
 
You say that answer is
[tex]e^xcos(e^{2x})-3x^2cos(x^6)[/tex]?
 
Today was not my best day obviously =] Yes I should have seen the proper method arildno and DH, maybe Ill have better luck tomorrow.
 
No, no one has said that! Several people have asked you questions about this problem that you haven't answered.
 
azatkgz said:
You say that answer is
[tex]e^xcos(e^{2x})-3x^2cos(x^6)[/tex]?

I didn't say that; but you said it correctly now! :smile: