Can a Free 2 Axis Gyro Model Account for Contact with a Stop?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MikeO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axis Fidelity Gyro
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
MikeO
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I want to model a free 2 axis free gyro. I used to have a very detailed model, but cannot find it. It was cross coupled, and included many disturbance torques. All I am looking for is a great source on this topic. Thanks!

Mike
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again. I have managed to put together a gyro model that incorporates all of the classical effects/properties. The flywheel is a magnet so I can spin it and precess it with electromagnetic fields. Works great!

But now I am stuck. Imagine that the axis which the flywheel spins on comes into contact with something (a stop). This is done to keep the gyro pitching and yawing within a limited range. What happens when the non-rotating axis touches the stop? How to model? Clearly, if the gyro was precessing (in pitch), then the pitch body rotation will come to a stop. I am looking for a realistic way to model this.

Thanks