Can a magnetic field be shielded passively?

In summary: For example, if you're trying to shield a robot from magnetic interference, you may want to try to shield the motors, batteries, and sensors from the magnetic field.Here's one way you might try to shield a magnetic field: by wrapping a strong magnet around the device that you're trying to shield. This will obstruct the magnetic field from reaching the device.
mreznicek
Friends:

Can a magnetic field be shielded somehow by a passive material?

i.e. can I wrap a strong magnet in some thin material and impede the B field outside?

Thanks amigos! -MigsP.S. This is not a homework question! I finished M.E. a long time ago!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes -- superconductors exclude magnetic fields from penetrating, at least up to a limit.

Hi Genneth:

So what is a common household superconductor with which I could shield say my compass as it sits on the dash of my car so that the dash electronics don't affect it?

Migs

mreznicek said:
Hi Genneth:

So what is a common household superconductor with which I could shield say my compass as it sits on the dash of my car so that the dash electronics don't affect it?

Migs

Unfortunately, known superconductors need very low temperatures to work. If you've got some household ones, please tell! As far as shielding goes, a compass encased in a superconducting box wouldn't read *any* magnetic field, as the Earth's would be shielded as well. Added to that, I think superconductors are always opaque...

You can also use any material with a high permeability.
The most common one is a special nickel alloy called mu-metal, I imagine it is expensive stuff - I've only ever used it in fancy physics experiments.

The normal way of sheilding out local constant fields is called hard iron correction and just involves positioning small magnets around the compass to cancel the effecs of the local field. If you see an old ships compass this is what the large metal balls around it do.

Thanks for the comments amigos! I kinda figured this was the case. I'ts always nice to have people in the know tell you exactly how it is ;) Migs

In many industrial applications, magnetic fields are shielded by conductors. Try placing a piece of metal (any conductive metal) between your compass and the suspected origin of the interference. For example, a bit of flashing on the dashboard (shiny side down, of course).

mreznicek said:
Friends:

Can a magnetic field be shielded somehow by a passive material?

i.e. can I wrap a strong magnet in some thin material and impede the B field outside?

Thanks amigos! -Migs

P.S. This is not a homework question! I finished M.E. a long time ago!

Yes, about any metal works well if it is an alternating field. If it is a fixed field then use mu-metal, or a ferromagnetic metal.

Any metal that is a conductor works well for alternating fields because an alternating field induces current in nearby conductors that it out of phase by 180 Degrees, therefore canceling the original field.

Good to know Eddie. I'm making a small 10x10cm robot vehicle and wanted to isolate the compass sensor from the electronics and motors. Another option will be to put the sensor on a small mast. -Migs

mreznicek said:
Good to know Eddie. I'm making a small 10x10cm robot vehicle and wanted to isolate the compass sensor from the electronics and motors. Another option will be to put the sensor on a small mast. -Migs

well, here's my thinking:

it would have to have a 'sphere' shaped 'shield' to do the best job

but, the most critical factor is that since you're trying to 'shield' the magnetic field, I don't think your 'compass' is going to work too well

--------------------------------------
you may want to try to 'shield' the other components

Last edited:

1. Can a magnetic field be completely shielded using passive methods?

No, it is not possible to completely shield a magnetic field using only passive methods. Some degree of magnetic field will always be able to penetrate through any shielding material.

2. What are some common passive methods for shielding magnetic fields?

Some common passive methods for shielding magnetic fields include using high-permeability materials such as mu-metal, creating a Faraday cage with conductive materials, and using thick layers of non-magnetic materials.

3. How effective are passive methods for shielding magnetic fields?

The effectiveness of passive methods for shielding magnetic fields depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the materials used for shielding. In most cases, passive methods can significantly reduce the strength of the magnetic field but may not be able to completely eliminate it.

4. Can passive magnetic field shielding be used for all types of magnetic fields?

No, passive magnetic field shielding is not effective for all types of magnetic fields. It is most effective for static or low-frequency magnetic fields, but may not be as effective for high-frequency or rapidly changing magnetic fields.

5. Are there any potential health risks associated with passive magnetic field shielding?

There are currently no known health risks associated with passive magnetic field shielding. However, it is important to ensure that the shielding material is properly installed and maintained, as improper installation could potentially create new hazards.