1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can a magnetic field create angular momentum?

1. Jul 31, 2016 #1
    I know that magnetic fields can align objects with spin. In that case, if we suspend an object and turn on a magnetic field such that a significant number of electrons become aligned with the field, could we observe a macroscopic change in angular momentum?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2016 #2
    Aren't you describing a permanent magnet motor with the magnet as the rotor? The short answer is yes.

4. Aug 1, 2016 #3
    I don't think I'm describing a motor. For one thing, there is no alternating current in my model, which is required even in a permanent magnet motor. I'm proposing to just dangle a block of some material in midair and then to apply an extremely strong stationary magnetic field. I know the field does interact with spins, causing the Zeeman effect, but I don't know if it's possible to see a change in angular momentum as a result.

5. Aug 1, 2016 #4
    This is the Einstein-de Haas effect. The total angular momentum is conserved so the object will rotate to counteract the spin angular momentum.

6. Aug 1, 2016 #5
    Thanks, Truecrimson! This is exactly what I was thinking of!

7. Aug 1, 2016 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

See also the Feynman Lectures:

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_37.html#Ch37-F3

in particular Fig. 37-3 and the paragraph preceding it (you'll probably have to scroll the page up a bit).

Note that the Einstein-de Haas experiments were in 1915-16, about ten years before the invention/discovery of electron spin! They must have analyzed their results in terms of the surface bound current of the magnetized cylinder, in classical electromagnetism:

http://www.physicspages.com/2013/06/29/magnetization-bound-currents/

See Example 1 which discusses a cylinder with uniform longitudinal magnetization. If there really were a macroscopic current running azimuthally around the cylinder, it would have angular momentum due to the circular motion of the electrons.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  8. Aug 1, 2016 #7
    Ah great, Feynman always catches the interesting stuff.

9. Aug 2, 2016 #8

David Lewis

Gold Member

A homopolar motor uses DC and a permanent magnet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted