Can a normal IQ person study Physics?

In summary: IQ" but below average interest. That is a fact.In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between IQ and studying physics in university. The general consensus is that a high IQ is not necessary to study physics, as passion and hard work are more important factors. Additionally, the conversation touches on the importance of perseverance and dedication, rather than just intelligence, in achieving success in the field of physics. The group also advises the original poster to not worry about their IQ and to focus on their love for the subject.
Estelle Lee
I love physics and maths,I am17,from Malaysia...My questions:Should I have a high IQ to study physics in university?Is it useful in the future?Are there many girls like to study physics?Or I am a weirdo? Haha, just kidding.I need answers and thank you!I hope Albert Einstein always right:Imagination is more important!
Oh yeah,I am a newbie in this forum hahahahha

Physics news on Phys.org
A person with a normal IQ can absolutely study physics. Someone who is passionate and hardworking and excited about the material will win over someone who is brilliant but lazy.

Where I went to school in the USA about 1/3 of the students were female.

It's a very enjoyable subject.

Engineering is similar in some ways (you take a lot of math and physics to begin) but has been job prospects if that is important to you.

Good luck!

Estelle Lee said:
I love physics and maths,I am17,from Malaysia...My questions:Should I have a high IQ to study physics in university?Is it useful in the future?Are there many girls like to study physics?Or I am a weirdo? Haha, just kidding.I need answers and thank you!I hope Albert Einstein always right:Imagination is more important!
Oh yeah,I am a newbie in this forum hahahahha

IQ tests do not measure "intelligence".

And no, Imagination is not "more important", at least not when one does not have much education yet.

Zz.

Likes Student100
A guy came up with different tests and found out that there was a correlation between a person's ability to score in them. Meaning if a person did good in one test, he would do good in others as well. He hypothesed there was some basic quality because of which this happened. He compiled these tests and "intelligence quotient" was an average of the scores. Whatever this test actually tests, it certainly isn't "intelligence". Intelligence is a very vague concept. Do not worry about it.

Now it would be a problem if you score below 60. The purpose of this test was to test children on the lower end of the spectrum. So unless your therapist tell you to worry, you should absolutely discard this test.

Just solve a lot of problems. Brain is more than capable to take care of rest.

IQ scores seem to be written off as hocus every time they're mentioned on PF. A very apt quote from a researcher in the field;
'IQ tests just measure how good you are at doing IQ tests.’ This is the argument that is almost always made when intelligence-testing is mentioned. It’s often promoted by people who are, otherwise, highly scientifically literate. You wouldn’t catch them arguing that climate change is a myth or that vaccines might cause autism. But saying that IQ tests are useless is just as wrong as these notions: in fact, decades of well-replicated research point to IQ tests as some of the most reliable and valid instruments in all of psychological science.
He also goes on to say;
Another mistake is to think that anyone has ever claimed that an IQ score ‘sums up’ a person. This is another falsehood, since all IQ researchers would readily accept that personality, motivation, and a host of other factors – including luck – are all crucial for success in life.
https://aeon.co/ideas/how-clever-is-it-to-dismiss-iq-tests
My advice to the OP is not to worry about IQ, unless you're had a test administered by a professional then you don't know your IQ (online tests do not give correct results).
It doesn't define your success, there's nothing you can do to change it (much), so forget about IQ and do your best. Hard work and perseverance are much more important traits.

My love for physics overcame my difficulties in math.

Love for the subject and willingness to work hard are more important than your perception of your intelligence or what you have been told.

:oldeyes:Yours comments inspired and encouraged me a lot,appreciate it!
I will be more confident,diligent and stay passionate in my physics!
At least I know,normal IQ is not the great obstacle to study physics,but depends on how deep my passionate in physics.Yours advises improve my self-confidence,thanks again.:oldbiggrin::oldeyes:

One of my teachers while I was in high school was always telling me that a diligent student surpassed the clever one.
The more systematic and dedicated you are the more chances you have to understand and succeed in physics and generally in your life.

Likes Dr. Courtney
IQ is not too clear a meaning. High IQ does not say anything about temperament and it does not say anything about effort or the quality of effort. Could you imagine finding someone with an advanced degree in Physics who is uninterested in Physics?

I have seen a study where people who scored better in the visual-spatial tests tend to be better physicists and engineers. However even this study doesn't mean that someone with average visual-spatial test won't make a good phys/eng. Its just a tendency.

What matters is that it makes you happy. No matter what you end up really wanting to understand concepts, enjoy talking it out, and are likely to stick it out through tough problems even if it seems like you're the only one that doesn't understand it.

This happens to me sometimes where I have no idea what is going on, but after some practice and hard work everything makes sense and it feels great when it happens.

If you love the subject, jump in and work hard. You will succeed and love the outcome!

The only tests that have any meaning are physics tests in your physics courses. Everything else is hogwash.

If you love physics and maths then your IQ is guaranteed to be above average.
Average IQ amounts to being able to figure if a shopkeeper gave you the correct change if you buy something.

Oh, and welcome to PF

Student100 said:
The only tests that have any meaning are physics tests in your physics courses. Everything else is hogwash.
rootone said:
If you love physics and maths then your IQ is guaranteed to be above average.
Average IQ amounts to being able to figure if a shopkeeper gave you the correct change if you buy something.

Oh, and welcome to PF
Someone with above average interest, BUT BELOW AVERAGE "IQ", who studies hard is very likely to learn better or more than others who put in less effort.

symbolipoint said:
Someone with above average interest, BUT BELOW AVERAGE "IQ", who studies hard is very likely to learn better or more than others who put in less effort.
Perhaps even more importantly, you'll learn more than you would have if you hadn't tried and put in the effort.

I think the idea of 'intelligence quotient' is a bit suspect anyway, just like the idea of eugenics,

Student100 said:

Not at all.

Success in physics really does require significant abilities and accomplishment in math.

If someone can't complete 90-100% of the precalculus pie in ALEKS, they are not likely ready to begin a physics major. Likewise, I'd want to see ACT scores in both math and science to assess a student's probability of succeeding in a physics major without some more work in high school math first (through pre-calc).

An ACT score of 20 in math is not promising at all for success in a physics major. Not that it's a death knell, it just means more preparatory work is needed. An math ACT score of 30 is much more promising.

Dr. Courtney said:
Not at all.

Success in physics really does require significant abilities and accomplishment in math.

Wait a minute, when did they remove math from physics?

I think you're misreading the context of the post.

Student100 said:
Wait a minute, when did they remove math from physics?

I think you're misreading the context of the post.

The context is a 17 year old asking about the IQ required to study physics. IQ may not matter, but math skills certainly do.

All my As in physics didn't help me when I got to college, because I was poor at math, and my earlier physics courses didn't help me in the math I needed to succeed in a physics major.

Likewise, more students have struggled and failed in the physics courses I taught due to their poor math skills. Their success in earlier physics courses did not help them. Their weaknesses in math left them unprepared.

Math is to physics what reading is to history. You won't learn enough math to succeed in a physics course in the process of the course any more than a history course will teach you to read.

Likes symbolipoint
Dr. Courtney said:
The context is a 17 year old asking about the IQ required to study physics. IQ may not matter, but math skills certainly do.

All my As in physics didn't help me when I got to college, because I was poor at math, and my earlier physics courses didn't help me in the math I needed to succeed in a physics major.

Likewise, more students have struggled and failed in the physics courses I taught due to their poor math skills. Their success in earlier physics courses did not help them. Their weaknesses in math left them unprepared.

Math is to physics what reading is to history. You won't learn enough math to succeed in a physics course in the process of the course any more than a history course will teach you to read.

Again, this is very tangential to the rest of the discussion.

No one said math isn't important.

Student100 said:
Again, this is very tangential to the rest of the discussion.

No one said math isn't important.
He is trying to say, and very well, that IQ is not so important; but that Mathematics preparation is important.

Likes Dr. Courtney
symbolipoint said:
He is trying to say, and very well, that IQ is not so important; but that Mathematics preparation is important.
Ohhh okay. I'm a little on the dense side lately.

I'm just confused why he quoted my post and said "not at all."

I thought he was misinterpreting it to mean "math isn't important to physics courses", when I would never argue such a silly point. It clearly meant no "tests" of IQ or spatial intelligence matter and that only your exams in physics do!

Student100 said:
Ohhh okay. I'm a little on the dense side lately.
Many people, even here, get that way sometimes.

The comparison he made is a good one. More to Physics and Mathematics, one still gains some Mathematical development through studying Physics, but preparation strictly from Calculus 1 & 2, and at least basic Trigonometry and good personal development in at least intermediate algebra still necessary; otherwise, the poorer Mathematical prerequisite developed are an interference in learning Physics.

symbolipoint said:
Many people, even here, get that way sometimes.

The comparison he made is a good one. More to Physics and Mathematics, one still gains some Mathematical development through studying Physics, but preparation strictly from Calculus 1 & 2, and at least basic Trigonometry and good personal development in at least intermediate algebra still necessary; otherwise, the poorer Mathematical prerequisite developed are an interference in learning Physics.

And I whole heartily agree, the biggest obstacle for most students is applying mathematics.

Let me support the other side, too. The Physics 1 Fundamental Mechanics from the beginning series of Physics courses made me learn how to APPLY Mathematics to Physics problem-solving and understanding the concepts of the course. I already had the prerequisite Mathematics taken care of, officially, and had applied some of them to other science courses, but had not yet applied them in real Physics. That first Physics 1 course made me much better in applying Mathematics beyond just Physics.

Understand that the Physics Mechanics beginning course was university - not high school.

" Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. "

Sometimes, being smart is not enough to pass the university life with high results. trust me.

But studying physics needs two major things: love physics & love math.

If you have this love, all what you need is to work and do your best.

In my opinion IQ score is not important for average or above average people, and probably does not mean much. A cost-free 40min test being able to measure the intellectual performances of a potential student/candidate? If such thing existed it would be a mandatory test in every aspect of our professional lives and you can be sure that good high-schools would teach you how to ace it. Strangely you don't see this anywhere...

I'd be worried about a very low score only.

If by IQ you mean "intelligent", then it would probably be better, just like "hard-working", "curious", "dedicated" etc. But at 17 it's never too late to get there!

Mishra said:
In my opinion IQ score is not important for average or above average people, and probably does not mean much. A cost-free 40min test being able to measure the intellectual performances of a potential student/candidate? If such thing existed it would be a mandatory test in every aspect of our professional lives and you can be sure that good high-schools would teach you how to ace it. Strangely you don't see this anywhere...
You do, you see it almost everywhere.
The SAT (and GRE) correlates highly with IQ, as do other similar standardized tests.

1. Can a normal IQ person study Physics?

Yes, a person with a normal IQ can study Physics. IQ is not the only determining factor in one's ability to understand and excel in the field of Physics. Dedication, hard work, and a strong foundation in math and science are also essential for success in this subject.

2. Do you need to have a high IQ to study Physics?

No, having a high IQ is not a prerequisite for studying Physics. While it may provide some advantages, it is not the sole factor in determining one's ability to learn and understand the concepts of Physics.

3. Is Physics a difficult subject for someone with a normal IQ?

The difficulty of Physics can vary from person to person, regardless of their IQ. Some may find it challenging, while others may excel in it. It ultimately depends on an individual's interest, dedication, and effort put into studying and practicing the subject.

4. Can a normal IQ person excel in Physics?

Yes, a person with a normal IQ can excel in Physics. While a high IQ may provide some advantages, it is not the sole determining factor in one's ability to excel in this subject. With hard work, determination, and a strong foundation in math and science, anyone can excel in Physics.

5. Are there any successful physicists with a normal IQ?

Yes, there are many successful physicists with a normal IQ. Some well-known examples include Richard Feynman, Steven Weinberg, and Lisa Randall. These individuals have made significant contributions to the field of Physics despite having a normal IQ.