Can a Piezoelectric Sensor Detect Hand Movements?

In summary, the person is looking for a small device to detect movement in their hand. They mention piezoelectric sensors and ask if they can use them for this purpose. They are recommended to Google accelerometers such as Analog Devices ADXL202 and Memsic MXD2125. They also ask about the size of these accelerometers and the purpose of the device is to track hand movements during activities like shooting a basketball or swinging a baseball bat. They ultimately decide to use small motion sensors and are recommended to check out a project called Wii Remote Hacks for an easier solution.
T.O.E Dream
I need something small to put on my hand to that can detect movement. I've been thinking of a piezoelectric sensor but I don't know much about them (I don't know much about anything electric). Can I use this to detect movements in my hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google it. Accelerometers: Analog Devices ADXL202, Memsic MXD2125.

I googled them but i need to get a picture of how big these accelerometers are. For example are they peanut sized or bigger?

I think this is helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems late to ask, but: "What's it for?"

Basically I want to track my hand movements when doing different activities such as shooting a basketball, or swinging a baseball bat.

Actually I think I'm going to need just small motion sensors. I'm going to put one that measures horizontal movements and one that measures vertical movement put the problem with the accelerometers is that it's too big.

This might be easier
http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

Related to Can a Piezoelectric Sensor Detect Hand Movements?

1. What is an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is a scientific instrument that measures acceleration, such as changes in speed or direction of motion. It works by measuring the force exerted on a small mass inside the device, which can then be used to determine the acceleration of the object it is attached to.

2. Why do I need a small accelerometer?

A small accelerometer is useful for measuring the acceleration of small objects or in situations where size and weight are important factors. They are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and consumer electronics.

3. How does a small accelerometer work?

A small accelerometer typically consists of a small mass suspended by springs inside a case. When the object it is attached to accelerates, the mass is displaced, and the resulting force is measured by a sensing element, such as a piezoelectric crystal or strain gauge.

4. What are the applications of a small accelerometer?

Small accelerometers have a wide range of applications, including motion sensing in smartphones and other consumer electronics, vibration monitoring in industrial machinery, and navigation systems in vehicles and aircraft.

5. How do I choose the right small accelerometer for my needs?

The right small accelerometer for your needs will depend on factors such as the range of acceleration you need to measure, the size and weight limitations, and the type of output signal required. It is important to carefully consider your specific requirements and consult with a knowledgeable supplier or engineer to select the best option.