Can an iPad battery be affected by altitude?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact of an airplane's pressurized cabin on the battery performance of electronic devices such as an iPad. The air at higher altitudes is less dense, which may affect the efficiency of the device's operations. Some users have noticed a decrease in battery charge while flying, but this could be due to factors such as airplane mode being turned off or the screen being lit frequently. Other factors, such as the colder air on the plane, may also contribute to a slightly lower displayed charge. However, if the altitude of 8000 feet had a significant impact on battery performance, it would likely be widely known and reported.
ThirtyWest
Specifically, I'm referring to the cabin of an airliner being pressurized to about 8,000 mean sea level.

Technically, the air is less dense, and I've wondered if there is a cooling issue inside the pad's board that results in a less efficient operation?

I fly regularly, and I can take a fully charged iPad Pro (airplane mode) with no apps open, and I can watch the charge deplete noticeably.

Also, I have seen the charge increase ever so slightly when descending back down toward sea level.

Can this be on the order of a CPU fan failing on a PC, resulting in a processor that's being overworked with less to show for it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have an airplane mode on? When you fly at 900 km/h at 10 km your mobile probably switches between ground stations quite often, so it has to do a lot of communication (which is power hungry).

ThirtyWest said:
I can watch the charge deplete noticeably.
Yeah, lighting the screen eats a lot:smile: Just don't watch it so often and it'll be much better. :wink:

The air on the plane is usually colder a bit during flight and that might result in a bit lower displayed charge, but no other effect.

Last edited:
If 8000' caused a significant change in battery performance, then it would be widely reported and well known among people who live at 8000' all the time.

Likes TechTree and russ_watters

1. Can high altitude affect the battery life of an iPad?

Yes, high altitude can affect the battery life of an iPad. The lower air pressure at higher altitudes can cause the battery to drain faster as it requires more power to function.

2. How much can the battery life of an iPad be affected by altitude?

The battery life of an iPad can be affected by up to 20% at altitudes above 10,000 feet. However, the exact amount of impact can vary depending on the specific altitude and usage of the device.

3. Is it safe to use an iPad at high altitudes?

Yes, it is safe to use an iPad at high altitudes. However, it is important to keep in mind that the battery life may be affected, and it is recommended to have a backup power source or power bank if necessary.

4. Can the battery of an iPad be permanently damaged by altitude?

No, the battery of an iPad cannot be permanently damaged by altitude. The battery will return to its normal functioning once it is brought back to a lower altitude. However, frequent exposure to high altitudes may affect the overall lifespan of the battery.

5. Are there any precautions to take when using an iPad at high altitudes?

Yes, there are a few precautions to take when using an iPad at high altitudes. It is recommended to keep the device in a cool and ventilated area, avoid exposing it to direct sunlight, and to have a backup power source in case of battery draining faster than expected.