Can an iPad battery be affected by altitude?

• Thread starter ThirtyWest
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Specifically, I'm referring to the cabin of an airliner being pressurized to about 8,000 mean sea level.

Technically, the air is less dense, and I've wondered if there is a cooling issue inside the pad's board that results in a less efficient operation?

I fly regularly, and I can take a fully charged iPad Pro (airplane mode) with no apps open, and I can watch the charge deplete noticeably.

Also, I have seen the charge increase ever so slightly when descending back down toward sea level.

Can this be on the order of a CPU fan failing on a PC, resulting in a processor that's being overworked with less to show for it?

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Do you have an airplane mode on? When you fly at 900 km/h at 10 km your mobile probably switches between ground stations quite often, so it has to do a lot of communication (which is power hungry).

I can watch the charge deplete noticeably.
Yeah, lighting the screen eats a lot:smile: Just don't watch it so often and it'll be much better. :wink:

The air on the plane is usually colder a bit during flight and that might result in a bit lower displayed charge, but no other effect.

Last edited:
If 8000' caused a significant change in battery performance, then it would be widely reported and well known among people who live at 8000' all the time.