Can an object dropped from a moving plane achieve purely vertical motion?

• I
  • Thread starter Gaboon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, an object dropped from a plane moving at a constant velocity will not achieve purely vertical motion, even without air resistance. The horizontal velocity of the object stays fixed at the velocity of the plane, and the vertical speed keeps increasing, resulting in a smaller and smaller vertical angle but never reaching zero. This is due to Newton's first law.
Gaboon
Hi all,
I have a very simple question. Will an object dropped from a plane moving at a constant velocity ever achieve purely vertical motion? (Make sure we're not taking air resistance into account)
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gaboon said:
Hi all,
I have a very simple question. Will an object dropped from a plane moving at a constant velocity ever achieve purely vertical motion? (Make sure we're not taking air resistance into account)
Thanks
No. If there is no air resistance, the horizontal velocity of the object stays fixed at the velocity of the plane.

How about direction?

Gaboon said:
How about direction?
I don't understand the question. The object follows a projectile trajectory. Are you familiar with the equations of projectile motion with constant acceleration (gravity) and with the simplifying assumption of no air resistance?

Yes. Does that trajectory ever lead to object falling at 90 degrees to earth?

Gaboon said:
No, it can't. The horizontal velocity never decreases, so the object will never fall vertically. The vertical speed keeps increasing when there is no air resistance, so the vertical angle gets smaller and smaller, but it never goes to zero.

Gaboon said:

Only if you fall along with the object.

Zz.

Likes berkeman
Ok thanks for feedback. Though I would love to know why the vertical angle never reaches zero.

Gaboon said:
Ok thanks for feedback. Though I would love to know why the vertical angle never reaches zero.

Read Berkeman's reply in Post #2! I have a feeling that the significance of that explanation escapes you somehow.

Zz.

Gaboon said:
You'll recognize that if there is always horizontal motion, the angle can't be zero, right? Or are you unclear about why the horizontal speed is fixed? That's due to Newton's first Law.

1. What factors affect the speed at which an object dropped from a plane falls?

The main factors that affect the speed of a falling object are air resistance and gravity. The shape, weight, and surface area of the object can also play a role in its rate of descent.

2. How does the height from which an object is dropped impact its fall?

The height from which an object is dropped has a direct impact on its fall. As the object falls, it gains speed due to the force of gravity. The higher the starting point, the longer the object has to gain speed and the faster it will fall.

3. Does the mass of an object affect its fall from a plane?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its fall from a plane. All objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate due to the force of gravity. This is known as the principle of equivalence, which was first discovered by Galileo.

4. What is the terminal velocity of an object dropped from a plane?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach while falling. For an object dropped from a plane, this speed is typically around 120 mph, depending on the object's shape, weight, and surface area. Once the object reaches terminal velocity, it will no longer accelerate and will fall at a constant speed.

5. Can an object survive a fall from a plane?

It is possible for an object to survive a fall from a plane, depending on the height and the object's characteristics. Objects with a larger surface area, such as a parachute, can significantly slow down their descent and increase the chances of survival. However, most objects that are not specifically designed to withstand high falls will sustain damage or break upon impact.