1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anybody explain this to me? (Analysis)

1. Nov 22, 2012 #1
    For question 32.2 in this link:

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~johnsonb/Welcome_files/104/104hw11sum06.pdf [Broken]

I did not understand how [itex]b^2/2 \leq U(f)[/itex]. We know that we have strict inequality in [itex]t_{k+1} > \frac{t_k + t_{k+1}}{2} [/itex]...so don't we need to have [itex]b^2/2 < U(f)[/itex] instead of [itex]b^2/2 \leq U(f)[/itex]?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a strict inequality folds for any finite partitions, all you can conclude is that the non-strict inequality holds in the limit, or when taking the sup, etc. In other words, we cannot have U(f) < b^2/2, because in order to have that we would have to have U_P(f) < b^2/2 for some finite partition P.

To put it another way: we have 1/n > 0 for all positive integers n, but inf{1/n: n is a positive integer} = 0.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Nov 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks, but...

"we cannot have U(f) < b^2/2, because in order to have that we would have to have U_P(f) < b^2/2 for some finite partition P."...but if you look at the last part of the solution, it actually shows that U(f,P) < b^2/2 for all partitions P...

5. Nov 22, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, so I got the inequalities reversed. The argument is still the same.

RGV

6. Nov 22, 2012 #5
    No I wasn't saying that you got the inequalities reversed...

I was just saying that (at the very end of the solution), it is shown that U(f,P)> b^2/2 for all P.

7. Nov 22, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, you had it right the first time.
    Artusartos, Ray is saying the argument runs like this.
    We know that for any finite partition U_P(f) > b2/2. Suppose in the limit U(f) < b2/2. That would imply U_P(f) < b2/2 for some finite partition P, contradicting what we know. Therefore U(f) ≥ b2/2.
    The OP says, in part:
    don't we need to have b2/2<U(f) ?​

Therein lies a misunderstanding. The relationship between b2/2 and U(f) is not a condition that's needed, it's a relationship we are trying to deduce. The point is that we cannot deduce U(f) > b2/2. This is because it is the limit of a sequence, and a sequence in which every term is > x can be equal to x in the limit. Instead, we can deduce the weaker relationship U(f) ≥ b2/2.

8. Nov 23, 2012 #7
    Thanks a lot, I think I understand it more now...but...

The other poster says "In other words, we cannot have U(f) < b^2/2, because in order to have that we would have to have U_P(f) < b^2/2 for some finite partition P." So (according to this statement) if we know that U_P(f) < b^2/2 for "some finite" partition P, then we can say that U(f) < b^2/2. In the text that I attached, it says that U_P(f) < b^2/2 for "all" finite partitions P...so why can't we say the same thing? Since, if we have U(f)<b^2/2 for "all" partitions, then we definitely have it for "some" partitions...

9. Nov 23, 2012 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, that doesn't follow. You're turning A [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] B into B [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] A:
    If {U(f) < b^2/2} then {[itex]\exists[/itex] P s.t. U_P(f) < b^2/2}​
    is not the same as
    If {[itex]\exists[/itex] P s.t. U_P(f) < b^2/2} then {U(f) < b^2/2}​

10. Nov 23, 2012 #9
    Oh, ok...I get it. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook