Can anyone check my work? 1st Order ODE Initial Value Problem

In summary, a first order ODE is a type of differential equation with the first derivative of a function. An initial value problem is a specific type of first order ODE with a known initial value. To solve a first order ODE initial value problem, various methods can be used, such as separation of variables and integrating factors. It is recommended to have someone check your work for accuracy and to avoid mistakes such as incorrect use of algebra and forgetting to integrate or differentiate correctly.
MustangGt94

Homework Statement

dy/dt + ty/(1+t^2) = t/(1+t^2)^1/2 y(1) = 2

Need to solve this initial value problem. The equation is a 1st order ODE

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached my solution to the problem. Just wondering if anyone can check my work. I solved the problem using the Integrating factor method u(t).

Thank You!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you attached something to your post?

1. What is a first order ODE?

A first order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of differential equation that involves the first derivative of a function. It can be written in the form of dy/dx = f(x,y), where y is the function and x is the independent variable.

2. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem refers to a specific type of first order ODE where the initial value (the value of the function at a given point) is known. In other words, the problem provides both an equation and an initial condition for the function.

3. How do I solve a first order ODE initial value problem?

There are various methods for solving a first order ODE initial value problem, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and the method of undetermined coefficients. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and apply the appropriate method to find a solution.

4. Can anyone check my work for a first order ODE initial value problem?

Yes, it is always a good idea to have someone else check your work to ensure accuracy and catch any mistakes. You can ask a classmate, tutor, or your instructor for assistance with checking your work.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a first order ODE initial value problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid include incorrect use of algebra, forgetting to integrate or differentiate correctly, and making errors in the initial condition. It is also important to pay attention to any restrictions on the solution, such as a specific range of values for the independent variable.