Can anyone suggest good CFT references?

• Thread starter pinu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    References
In summary, there are several good references for learning about Conformal Field Theory as it relates to statistical mechanics. Some recommended ones include a review by Ginsparg, video lectures from Perimeter Institute, the book "Conformal Field Theory" by Di Francesco, Mathieu, and Senechal, and a brief lecture by J.Cardy. These resources provide a good introduction to the topic and cover both physical and mathematical aspects of CFT.
pinu
Can anyone suggest "good" CFT references?

Well, by "good" I mean the way they describe the theory are physical rather than mathematical. Actually I want to understand statistical mechanics using CFT as a tool. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard reference is a review by Ginsparg: http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9108028
It is quite readable, but does not contain references to statistical physics. You might find it too mathematical.

A nice set of video lectures from Perimeter Institute are these: http://www.perimeterscholars.org/327.html
They contain an nice motivation of CFTs via statistical mechanics. And, as far as I remember, they are not too formal.

I suppose other people will have more ideas.

Likes 1 person
Conformal Field Theory by Di Francesco, Mathieu, and Senechal is kind of a bible of CFT. It is pretty advanced but does provide an introduction to stat mech and QFT in the beginning which I thought was very good.

There are many great references available for studying conformal field theory (CFT) from a physical perspective. Some popular choices include "Conformal Field Theory" by P. Di Francesco, P. Mathieu, and D. Senechal, "Conformal Field Theory" by P. Ginsparg, and "Conformal Field Theory and Critical Phenomena" by J. Cardy. These books provide a comprehensive overview of CFT and its applications in statistical mechanics. Additionally, there are many research papers and lecture notes available online that offer a more in-depth exploration of specific topics in CFT. I recommend exploring these resources and finding the ones that best suit your learning style and interests.

1. What is CFT?

CFT stands for Conformal Field Theory. It is a branch of theoretical physics that studies the behavior of quantum field theories under conformal transformations, which are transformations that preserve angles but not necessarily distances.

2. Why is it important to have good CFT references?

Having good CFT references is important because it allows researchers and scientists to have access to accurate and reliable information about the theory. This can help in understanding and further developing the theory, as well as in applying it to different fields such as condensed matter physics and string theory.

3. Can you suggest any specific CFT references?

Some highly recommended CFT references include "Conformal Field Theory" by Philippe Di Francesco, Pierre Mathieu, and David Senechal, "Conformal Field Theory and Topology" by Edward Witten, and "Introduction to Conformal Field Theory" by Ralph Blumenhagen and Erik Plauschinn.

4. Are there any online resources for learning about CFT?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning about CFT, such as lecture notes and video lectures from universities, online courses, and research papers available on arXiv.

5. Is prior knowledge of quantum field theory necessary to understand CFT?

Prior knowledge of quantum field theory is helpful but not necessary to understand CFT. However, a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and some mathematical concepts, such as complex analysis and group theory, is recommended for a better understanding of the theory.