Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone suggest a good book or lecture on string theory

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    I am very bored and looking for entertainment such as a book or lecture having to do with string theory. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2
    The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene is probably the most popular book on it. I would guess that it's fairly easy to read based on both its popularity and the clarity conveyed through the Nova series of the same name. I haven't read the book but I have the Nova dvd's, which I found clear and interesting. I guess the book is a little more technical and detailed.
  4. Feb 16, 2010 #3
    At undergrad level, Kiritsis or Zwiebach

One of my first encounter was Hatfield, it is also listed from the link above, and I liked it. It also covers some QFT.
  5. Feb 16, 2010 #4
  6. Feb 16, 2010 #5
  7. Feb 22, 2010 #6
    I'll also recomend Brian Green's novels. I still remember the pop in my brain when I finaly managed to fully grasp relativety. He also paints a pretty clear picture about the what and what-nots of everything quantum, even if you find yourself backtracking.

As far as string theory goes, I really wish they would have called it string model because the patchwork of additions and suppositions leaves this theory hanging by a thread IMO.

Nevertheless I owe a lot to Dr. Green and would recomend his books to anyone interested in physics not just string theory!

Oh and forget the videos, it's like comparing tolkien/potter to their films releases: a lot of shine, but there is just no intimacy.
  8. Feb 22, 2010 #7
    Then maybe you can spell his name next time ?
  9. Feb 22, 2010 #8

Haha, lmao-ness :biggrin:

This is something I came across just two days ago, looks good but haven't watched them yet.

NB: There are three lectures, click the 2 & 3 beside "other occasions".

This I believe goes hardcore into it, but I haven't checked it just read the description.

These lectures are very listenable. They get detailed but you can brush past the math if you listen via mp3 and still stay with the flow and learn some amazing things.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  10. Feb 22, 2010 #9
    You can read about strings and related/competing theories here:

Briane Greene's THE FABRIC OF THE COSMOS...

These are often available used from Amazon online for example.....
  11. Feb 24, 2010 #10

There won't be a next time if I think I'm being trolled by such a stick in the mud!

J/K hehe, I drink a lot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook