Can anyone suggest any good books on infrared

In summary: IR technology. There are a lot of different IR protocols and standards, but I think the ones you're most likely to find useful are the Infrared Data Association's (IrDA) standards and the IEEE 802.15.4 standard. If you want to go really low-tech and use an IR LED instead of a transmitter and receiver, that's totally doable too! Just make sure to keep the range short so only 1 or 2 receivers can pick up the signal.
StealthRay
Hello,

I am currently doing a project where the PLC will control the actuators based on the infrared signal.

Is there any good books that covers everything from theories (basic of infrared),design and application (control)?

I tried googled some of the books but the table of contents provided didnt looks promising.The books focus too much on theory and there isn't any design and etc.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There probably aren't too many resources specific to remote infrared communications because general optical principles apply equally to visible and near infrared and communications protocols are well covered elsewhere. Which of these two broad categories is your main concern? Maximal range is attained when the beam is well collimated so you want to look into collimation optics. On the receiver end, the optics want to see as narrow a field of view as possible so the design will be similar to refractive telescopes and sinmilar optical systems. If range is not an issue, these become less important.

Sorry,I am acutally rather weak in this field.That is the reason why I was looking for a good book to learn from theory to application.

Then i will try to design for my project.There will be 1 transmitter attached to a moving object and there are 3-4 receiver which will detect the signal.The 1 receiver which detect the signal will then energize the PLC input module and the PLC energizes the output accordingly.Ya,the range will be quite narrow so only 1-2 receiver will detect the signal at a time.

The above are my concepts and I would like to learn more on the sensors part so I can start designing the circuit and interface for the project.

Is there any good book which I can learn something infrared and the design?

Infrared sensors for commincations and signalling are nothing more than phototransistors sensitive to near infrared. There are packaged receiver modules which include the IR phototransistor and and amplifier which may or may not include some sort of noise rejection circuitry. The transmitter part is nothing more than an LED. This can be driven, like any LED, directly by logic such as a microcontroller; the fact that it happens to emit near IR rather than visible light is irrelevant to the design considerations. At this point, it's necessary only to determine what sort of signal you need to send ( a digital code or just a simple on/off), devise logic to drive that signal appropriately and then decode and act on it. Forget the fact that it's IR for now and just design the logic to 1) drive an LED with a desired signal and 2) to receive the signal from a photodiode or transistor and act appropriately. The rest will pretty much fall into place. Since you say it's short range, optics are unecessary (think TV remote here).

StealthRay said:
Sorry,I am acutally rather weak in this field.That is the reason why I was looking for a good book to learn from theory to application.

Then i will try to design for my project.There will be 1 transmitter attached to a moving object and there are 3-4 receiver which will detect the signal.The 1 receiver which detect the signal will then energize the PLC input module and the PLC energizes the output accordingly.Ya,the range will be quite narrow so only 1-2 receiver will detect the signal at a time.

The above are my concepts and I would like to learn more on the sensors part so I can start designing the circuit and interface for the project.

Is there any good book which I can learn something infrared and the design?

I googled IR remote control +standards, and got lots of good hits. Check out the hit list for primers, tutorials, etc:

http://www.google.com/search?source...L_enUS301US302&q=ir+remote+control++standards

Thank you for all the replies.

I am going to library today and hopefully can get some information on this.

Edit:
I went to the library but most of the books are related to optical communication,digital signal processing and so on.None of this topics talks about sensors in particular,the theory and application.

Which area should I research on if I just wanted to have simple sensors to provide signal for the for the PLC to control the actuators?

Last edited:
StealthRay said:
Thank you for all the replies.

I am going to library today and hopefully can get some information on this.

Edit:
I went to the library but most of the books are related to optical communication,digital signal processing and so on.None of this topics talks about sensors in particular,the theory and application.

Which area should I research on if I just wanted to have simple sensors to provide signal for the for the PLC to control the actuators?

I think the hit list I posted should have some useful resources on what standards are out there for simple IR remote control. I'd stick with one of those standards, since you can buy some good-quality transmitters and receivers that have all the coding and modulation/demodulation built into them, and they are inexpensive.

Related to Can anyone suggest any good books on infrared

1. What is infrared and why is it important?

Infrared is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is invisible to the human eye, but can be detected by specialized equipment. It has a longer wavelength than visible light and is commonly used in various applications such as thermal imaging, communication, and heating. Understanding infrared is important in many fields, including astronomy, environmental science, and medicine.

2. Are there any recommended books that cover the basics of infrared?

Yes, there are several books that cover the basics of infrared and its applications. Some popular choices include "Introduction to Infrared and Raman Spectroscopy" by Norman Colthup, "Infrared Thermography: Principles and Applications" by Michael Vollmer and Klaus-Peter Möllmann, and "Infrared Spectroscopy: Fundamentals and Applications" by Barbara Stuart.

3. Can you suggest any books specifically about the use of infrared in environmental science?

One highly recommended book on this topic is "Infrared Spectroscopy for Food Quality Analysis and Control" by Da-Wen Sun. This book discusses the use of infrared in monitoring and analyzing food quality, an important aspect of environmental science. Another relevant book is "Infrared Spectroscopy for Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Science" by K.N. Rao and J. S. Bhatt.

4. I am interested in learning about the use of infrared in medicine. Any book suggestions?

Yes, there are many books that cover the use of infrared in medicine. One popular choice is "Introduction to Medical Infrared Imaging" by J.B. Seitz and P. R. Griffiths, which provides a comprehensive overview of the principles and applications of medical infrared imaging. "Infrared Thermography in Medical Diagnostics" by B. A. Pasha is another highly recommended book in this field.

5. Are there any books that discuss the latest advancements in infrared technology?

Yes, there are several books that cover the latest advancements in infrared technology. "Infrared Technology and Applications" by B. B. Sharma and R. G. Singh is a comprehensive guide to the latest developments in infrared technology and its applications in various fields. Another relevant book is "Infrared Imaging: A Casebook in Clinical Medicine" by Francis Ring and Richard Shaw, which covers the use of infrared in medical diagnosis and treatment.