Can Compact Dimensions be Explained in Terms of Rudimentary Field Theory?

In summary, the person is asking for an ontological explanation of compact dimensions in terms of what one might be expected to know of rudimentary field theory. They are also wondering if the picture makes sense to the learned ones on the forum.
Sojourner01
I'm an undergrad just getting into lagrangian fields and symmetry, having my first advanced particle physics lecture tomorrow. I've read around the subject of high energy physics to some degree, but I'm very limited in what I can understand, largely due to the mathematical particulars that I haven't encountered before. I'd like to be able to visualise - or at least explain in a more common-sense way - what compact dimensions represent, why they're required, how they're supposed to come about, and so on. As mentioned, I don't have the mathematical background to understand the jargon - I can get by with being shown an overview of the mathematics involved, however. I find the common pop-science explanation of string theory and ephemera largely useless since they don't give any indication of how one might solve problems.

So - is there a reasonable ontological explanation of compact dimensions in terms of what one might be expected to know of rudimentary field theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
I may be able to help you visualize the compactified dimensions. In my opinion, the most important aspect of compactified space is that it still exists as a discrete subspace throughout all space. Depending on how the original dimension broke up into pieces of space, that subspace could be a uniform array of CY manifolds, or if the symmetry break was random, the array spacing could be random.

I like to think of the 9 space dimensions before symmetry broke as 3 dimensions aligned in each direction of 3D space. Then for one of the three to inflate, the other two had to deflate or compactify. I then imagine that in each direction, one dimension curls up say from east to west whereas the other curls up from west to east. So if they end up like tiny loops with spin, then the two loops have a spin and an equal and opposite anti-spin.

I presume that at any discrete point in the array, the dimensions curl up in orthagonol planes resulting in a spin vector in all 6 directions of 3d space, but the net spin at each point would be zero. However, it appears that any spin would be allowed at each point provided it is balanced by the anti-spin.

I am not learned in string theory and I wonder if this picture makes any sense to the learned ones on this forum?

Well thanks for the effort, but the problem remains: what are these dimensions "curled up" into?

In any case, I'm not so much into visualisation - I can kind of do that as much as is possible for a person to extend their comprehension into more dimensions than we perceive directly. This, however, still doesn't help me solve any problems. Some sort of statement along the lines of "this so and so must have n degrees of freedom to be consistent and thus can't fit into three/four-dimensional space" would be satisfactory - some sort of logical proof that so many dimensions are required, from the point of view of mathematics I can understand.

Related to Can Compact Dimensions be Explained in Terms of Rudimentary Field Theory?

1. What is the meaning of compactification in physics?

In physics, compactification refers to the process of reducing the number of dimensions in a space in order to simplify calculations and better understand physical phenomena. This is often done by "wrapping" higher-dimensional spaces into smaller, compact spaces.

2. How does compactification relate to string theory?

In string theory, compactification is a crucial aspect of the theory. It is used to explain why we only observe four dimensions (three spatial dimensions and one time dimension) in our everyday experience, despite the theory requiring ten or eleven dimensions to work. The extra dimensions are "compactified" or hidden, and only reveal themselves at extremely small scales.

3. What are some examples of compactified spaces?

One of the most well-known examples of compactified spaces is the Kaluza-Klein theory, which combines the four dimensions of spacetime with an additional fifth dimension that is compactified into a circle. Other examples include toroidal compactifications, where a higher-dimensional space is wrapped around a torus, and orbifold compactifications, where a higher-dimensional space is "folded" onto itself in a specific way.

4. How does compactification affect the laws of physics?

Compactification can have a significant impact on the laws of physics, particularly at very small scales. In some cases, it can introduce new forces or particles that are not observed in our everyday experience. It can also affect the behavior of particles and energy in ways that differ from what is predicted by traditional four-dimensional physics.

5. Why is compactification important in theoretical physics?

Compactification is an essential tool in theoretical physics as it allows for the study of complex systems and phenomena in simplified, lower-dimensional spaces. It also plays a crucial role in bridging the gap between different theories, such as connecting string theory with more traditional theories like general relativity. Additionally, compactification can lead to new insights and predictions about the nature of our universe.