Can different forces cancel themselves?

• I
  • Thread starter Pauly Denino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, when using an object with only mass and no dimensions and applying three non-parallel and different pulling forces, the forces can cancel each other out. However, this may not be the case with a non-perfect object, as slight advancements were observed. The reason for this cancellation is due to the different magnitudes and directions of the forces, which results in a zero net force when laid out in a closed loop. This concept can also be applied to driving a car at a constant velocity.
Pauly Denino
If for say, I had a ''perfect object'' (Only mass with no dimensions) and I put three non-parallel and different pulling forces on the item, would these cancel themselves? After the doing the experiment myself with a non-perfect item, it seemed there was a slight advancement. The addition of the vectors gave me a near 0N force.

My questions are, is that slight advancement only due to the imprecision of my material and why do the forces cancel even thought they're all different?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pauly Denino said:
If for say, I had a ''perfect object'' (Only mass with no dimensions) and I put three non-parallel and different pulling forces on the item, would these cancel themselves? After the doing the experiment myself with a non-perfect item, it seemed there was a slight advancement. The addition of the vectors gave me a near 0N force.

My questions are, is that slight advancement only due to the imprecision of my material and why do the forces cancel even thought they're all different?

Making it even simpler, if you had an object with just one force acting on it, you can apply an equal and opposite force to cancel that force, correct?

Just add the force vectors. You know what a vector is?

I already added them, my questions is more towards the why the cancellation happens even thought the forces are different

If the vectors don't cancel, then the forces don't cancel. It's as simple as that. But maybe there is some friction that you haven't taken into account.

Pauly Denino said:
I already added them, my questions is more towards the why the cancellation happens even thought the forces are different
It's a little hard to understand your problem. The forces can cancel because they are different. If they were identical (in magnitude and direction) they effects will add up and you cannot have cancellation.

For two forces they should have same magnitude but opposite directions. For three forces you can have many possibilities, many combinations of magnitudes and directions which will give a zero resultant.

Pauly Denino said:
If you have three forces that sum to zero then if you lay them out head to tail then you will get a triangle. You can also get four forces to cancel if you lay then head to tail and you get a quadrilateral. Any number of vectors that takes you in a closed loop when laid end to end results in 0 net force.

Likes Pauly Denino and Bystander
Thanks for you answers, they really helped me make my mind under the concept. I will definitely be using this website more often.

Likes Dale
Any time you drive a car at a constant velocity the forces on it sum to zero (aka cancel out).

1. Can forces of equal magnitude and opposite direction cancel each other out?

Yes, forces of equal magnitude and opposite direction are known as balanced forces and they cancel each other out, resulting in no overall force on an object.

2. Can different types of forces cancel each other out?

Yes, different types of forces can cancel each other out if they are acting on the same object with equal magnitude and opposite direction. For example, if a person pushes a box with 10 Newtons of force to the right, and another person pushes the same box with 10 Newtons of force to the left, the forces will cancel each other out and the box will not move.

3. Can friction cancel out other forces?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, and it can cancel out other forces that are trying to move the object. For example, if a book is sliding down a table due to gravity, the friction force from the table can cancel out the force of gravity and keep the book from accelerating.

4. Can forces in different directions cancel each other out?

Yes, forces in different directions can cancel each other out if they are acting on different parts of an object. For example, a book sitting on a table is experiencing the force of gravity pulling it down, but the table is also exerting an equal and opposite force upwards, resulting in a net force of zero.

5. Can forces cancel out forever?

No, forces can only cancel each other out temporarily. Eventually, one force will overcome the other and cause the object to move. For example, if a person is holding a heavy object in their hand, the force of gravity and the force of their hand pushing upwards are canceling each other out, but if the person lets go, the force of gravity will be greater and the object will fall.