Can dimpling the skin of a jet airliner increase fuel efficiency?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Psi 5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Idea
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Psi 5
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
I've had this idea for a while. I can't see anything wrong with it. Maybe someone here can tell me if it's unsound.

The idea is based on the dimpling of a golf ball. To my knowledge the dimpling of a golf ball reduces air friction and let's it go farther. I even heard of someone dimpling a bat so they could swing faster. Some golf club heads have dimples too.

My idea is to dimple the skin of a jet airliner. Since they pretty much cruise at a constant airspeed the dimpling could be optimized for that speed to reduce air friction and increase fuel efficiency. Is there some physics reason why this wouldn't work?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Aircraft are pretty well thought-out from an aerodynamic aspect already. The main concern that I would have regarding dimpling is that it would mess up the lift factor of the wings and control surfaces.
 
Possible but dimples don't keep a golf ball from lifting. Also the fuselage isn't a lifting surface.
 
Psi 5 said:
Also the fuselage isn't a lifting surface.
It depends. The space shuttle is a lifting body.

EDIT: Deleted. The link Zapper posted says it better than I can.
 
Last edited: