Can Division Even Be Allowed In Math If It's Flawed?

In summary, division is a useful mathematical operation, but like many others, it comes with certain restrictions and conditions that must be observed for its results to make sense. These restrictions may seem inconvenient at times, but they are necessary to avoid the absurdities that can arise when they are ignored.
Larry1
How can division even be allowed in math if it sometimes leads to absurdities? For example divisions that generate a series which is obviously untrue for values that are allowed in the original equation. Seems to make the entire process questionable, even allowing for "range of convergence" etc, something seems flawed.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, if you have a formal proof of contradiction, we may consider it. Otherwise, division seems like a very useful operation.

Larry said:
How can division even be allowed in math if it sometimes leads to absurdities? For example divisions that generate a series which is obviously untrue for values that are allowed in the original equation. Seems to make the entire process questionable, even allowing for "range of convergence" etc, something seems flawed.

Please give an example.

CB

CaptainBlack said:
Please give an example.

CB

Even if a little 'advanced' for the pre-algebra forum, an 'example' could be the following. Let's consider the first order linear DE...

$\displaystyle x\ y^{\ '}-y=0$ (1)

... the general solution of which is found to be $\displaystyle y=c\ x$. The 'standard' solving approach to (1) is to divide both terms by x under the condition that $\displaystyle x \ne 0$ so that the (1) becomes...

$\displaystyle y^{\ '}- \frac{y}{x}=0$ (2)

The problem is: what can You do if the interval of definition of the solution of (1) includes the point x=0?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Even if a little 'advanced' for the pre-algebra forum, an 'example' could be the following. Let's consider the first order linear DE...

$\displaystyle x\ y^{\ '}-y=0$ (1)

... the general solution of which is found to be $\displaystyle y=c\ x$. The 'standard' solving approach to (1) is to divide both terms by x under the condition that $\displaystyle x \ne 0$ so that the (1) becomes...

$\displaystyle y^{\ '}- \frac{y}{x}=0$ (2)

The problem is: what can You do if the interval of definition of the solution of (1) includes the point x=0?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

You solve it on the side of the singularity you are interested in (that is where the initial condition is specified). The equation could be solved on each side of the singularity, but a single initial condition will not suffice except under special conditions (essentially that \(\lim_{x\to 0}y/x\) exists from the side with the initial condition).

CB

CaptainBlack said:
You solve it on the side of the singularity you are interested in (that is where the initial condition is specified). The equation could be solved on each side of the singularity, but a single initial condition will not suffice except under special conditions (essentially that \(\lim_{x\to 0}y/x\) exists from the side with the initial condition).

CB

That means that, if You have an initial condition in a point $x_{0}<0$, then the solution You find isn't valid for $x \ge 0$?... if yes of course it would be a severe limitation in many pratical situations...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

CaptainBlack said:
Please give an example.

CB

Well maybe I should have considered asking in another group. But it was in high school algebra that I first asked the question and couldn't get an answer. Here is an example:

1/(1+x) = 1/x -1/x^2 +1/x^3-...

When x = 1 the left side is 1/2, the right side is 1 -1 +1 -1...
This caused me in Algebra I to question the allow-ability of division. My teacher thought I was being a wise-*** and made me feel like a fool.

Larry said:
Well maybe I should have considered asking in another group. But it was in high school algebra that I first asked the question and couldn't get an answer. Here is an example:

1/(1+x) = 1/x -1/x^2 +1/x^3-...

When x = 1 the left side is 1/2, the right side is 1 -1 +1 -1...
This caused me in Algebra I to question the allow-ability of division. My teacher thought I was being a wise-*** and made me feel like a fool.
Many mathematical operations are subject to some kind of condition or restriction. In the case of division, the only restriction is that division by zero is not possible. Division will never lead to absurdities if you take care not to attempt to divide by zero.

Another situation where you have to take note of an important condition is when summing an infinite series. The binomial formula $1/(1+x) = x -x^2 +x^3-\ldots$ only holds subject to the restriction that $|x|<1.$ If you ignore that restriction and try putting $x=1$ then you get a result that has no mathematical basis. In this case, it is not division that is causing the apparent absurdity, but the essential condition required for the convergence of a series.

The lesson to learn from this is that many if not most mathematical statements come with some "small print" attached in the form of restrictions or conditions. You need to observe these conditions carefully if you want the results to make mathematical sense. If you ignore them, then you should not be surprised if it sometimes leads to absurdities. Having said that, I think that your teacher should have taken the opportunity to emphasise the importance of "reading the small print", rather than making you feel like a fool.

Last edited:
chisigma said:
That means that, if You have an initial condition in a point $x_{0}<0$, then the solution You find isn't valid for $x \ge 0$?... if yes of course it would be a severe limitation in many pratical situations...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

You cannot normally integrate through a singularity. Think about what happens when you integrate the ODE numerically away from the initial condition towards the singularity, you get to a point where the derivative is undefined (arbitrarily large absolute value) and you cannot step any further in that direction. On the other side of the singularity you could continue, but you now have no initial value to integrate away from.

(In practice you will either miss the singularity, but the result is nonsense beyond it, or you will hit it and get division by zero)

Opalg said:
...Many mathematical operations are subject to some kind of condition or restriction. In the case of division, the only restriction is that division by zero is not possible. Division will never lead to absurdities if you take care not to attempt to divide bynewline zero. The lesson to learn from this is that many if not most mathematical statements come with some "small print" attached in the form of restrictions or conditions...

Division by zero is not allowed because it leads to absurdities. Example, 4\0 = k, then k x 0 = 4, then 0 = 4. Absurd agreed. How come then sqrt{-1} which also seems absurd is assigned the symbol i and all is well?

I find it hard to accept that math is full of fine print. My gut still tells me if division, which is allowed, leads to absurdities, then it must be fundamentally flawed. All these are questions that must have at one time or another gone through the mind of any "thinking" beginning math student. They certainly ran through mine and the teachers were of no help whatsoever. I might have majored in math if I had had some of my early questions properly answered.

Larry said:
Division by zero is not allowed because it leads to absurdities. Example, 4\0 = k, then k x 0 = 4, then 0 = 4. Absurd agreed. How come then sqrt{-1} which also seems absurd is assigned the symbol i and all is well?

I find it hard to accept that math is full of fine print. My gut still tells me if division, which is allowed, leads to absurdities, then it must be fundamentally flawed. All these are questions that must have at one time or another gone through the mind of any "thinking" beginning math student. They certainly ran through mine and the teachers were of no help whatsoever. I might have majored in math if I had had some of my early questions properly answered.

You can do exactly the same sort of thing with division by zero as is done with the square root of minus 1. We introduce a new ideal element to the reals "nan" so that a/0=nan for any real a. Then we have some new rules for manipulating the ideal element "nan". There are a number of ways of doing this (one with two ideal elements nan and -nan, and another with one ideal element and where nan=-nan). Google for extended real numbers.

However the extended reals essentialy do nothing that not allowing division by zero does for us.

There is a reason why you should work with what is conventional (at least until you complete a couple of years of university maths), that is we have many hundreds of years work with the system as it is and the problems we do have do not lie with division by zero.

Before complaining about division by zero being an exception to some rules of arithmetic maybe you should wonder why you have no problem with real numbers.

CB

Last edited:

Related to Can Division Even Be Allowed In Math If It's Flawed?

1. Can division be allowed in math if it's flawed?

Division is a fundamental arithmetic operation in mathematics and is widely accepted as a valid operation. However, like any other mathematical operation, division can produce incorrect results if it is not performed correctly or if the numbers used are flawed. Therefore, it is important to ensure that proper mathematical principles and techniques are followed when performing division.

2. What are some flaws in division that can lead to incorrect results?

One of the most common flaws in division is dividing by zero, which is undefined in mathematics. Other flaws can include rounding errors, improper use of decimals, and incorrect order of operations. It is important to be aware of these potential errors and to double check calculations to avoid incorrect results.

3. Is division the only math operation that can produce flawed results?

No, all mathematical operations have the potential to produce flawed results if not performed correctly or if the numbers used are flawed. Addition, subtraction, and multiplication can also produce incorrect results if not done properly. Therefore, it is important to understand and follow mathematical principles and techniques for all operations.

4. Can flawed division be fixed?

In most cases, yes, flawed division can be fixed by identifying and correcting the error. For example, if a division calculation produces an incorrect result due to a rounding error, the error can be fixed by using more decimal places or by rounding properly. However, if the numbers used are inherently flawed, such as dividing by zero or using incorrect values, then the division cannot be fixed.

5. How can one ensure that division is performed correctly?

To ensure that division is performed correctly, one should follow established mathematical principles and techniques. This includes understanding the order of operations, using correct decimal placement, and avoiding dividing by zero. Double checking calculations and using a calculator or computer program can also help to ensure the accuracy of division.