Can Einstein's Field Equations Explain the Sinking Locomotive in Bolivian Sand?

In summary, the Einstein field equations are responsible for the sinking of a locomotive into Bolivian sand. The conversation also discusses the purchase and restoration of an old steam engine and the use of a phosphoric acid-based stabilizer to prevent rust.
Baluncore
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Do the Einstein field equations explain why this locomotive is sinking into the Bolivian sand?
Uyuni Train Cemetery, Bolivia 18sth71nnihl8jpg.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
They are responsible for it.
The paint makes the locomotive heavier.
I would not hide the obvious answer in a spoiler.

Likes Intrastellar
@ mfb. I think you must have quickly edited your initial post to insert the spoiler box.
My email notification of your reply showed the content of the spoiler box only.

What an idea you have just triggered.
Last month I purchased a rusted garden ornament from a scrap dealer. It was an historical Robey & Co portable steam engine from the 1880s. I will stabilise what remains and paint it to stop to rust.
What would an appropriate equation be? H2O = MC2 Will that make them think?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
52462f7abc2f699374e93c153cac360a.png

Baluncore said:
I will stabilise what remains and paint it to stop to rust.
Probably you know of this stuff, but i'll mention it just in case.
i use a phosphoric acid based stabilizer with some chromates in it, Hardware and home supply stores have it under various brand names.. around here it's "Ospho" . It changes rust into a more stable black material.
It also etches aluminum so paint will stick. I used it on that pink boat with good results.

1. What is a locomotive?

A locomotive is a type of railway vehicle that provides the power and traction for a train. It typically consists of a fuel source, such as coal or diesel, and an engine that converts the fuel into mechanical energy to move the train.

2. Who was Albert Einstein?

Albert Einstein was a German-born physicist who is widely recognized as one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century. He is most famous for his theory of relativity and his mass-energy equivalence formula, E=mc^2.

3. What is the Einstein equation?

The Einstein equation, also known as the mass-energy equivalence formula, is a mathematical equation that states the relationship between mass and energy. It is represented as E=mc^2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light.

4. How is the Einstein equation related to locomotives?

The Einstein equation is not directly related to locomotives. However, it does represent a fundamental concept in physics that applies to all forms of energy, including the energy produced by locomotives. This equation helps scientists understand the relationship between mass and energy, and how they can be converted from one form to another.

5. What impact did the Einstein equation have on science and technology?

The Einstein equation revolutionized the field of physics and had a significant impact on science and technology. It helped scientists understand the fundamental principles of energy and paved the way for advancements in nuclear energy, space exploration, and other fields. It also led to the development of technologies such as nuclear power plants, medical imaging devices, and GPS systems.