Can electromagnetic induction occur in a single straight wire?

In summary: B field, this B field would push the moving electrons to one side of the wire and we would get an E field inside the wire from the charge separation and this is called a hall-voltage.
brainyman89
we have studied electromagnetic induction that takes place in coils, solenoids, or wires forming geometrical shape, but my question is can electromagnetic induction occur in a single straight wire by changing B the magnetic field that crosses the wire? would there be electromagnetic flux and what is its formula that could be equivalent to this formula that is in case of a solenoid: Φ=NBScos(n,B)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes , if we put a current carrying wire in an external B field, this B field would push the moving electrons to one side of the wire and we would get an E field inside the wire from the charge separation and this is called a hall-voltage .
You could find the voltage by relating the Lorentz force to the electrical force .
qvB=qE and Voltage=Ed
v=drift velocity of the electrons.
vB=V/d
reference: Physics by knight page 1023

Last edited:
we have studied electromagnetic induction that takes place in coils, solenoids, or wires forming geometrical shape, but my question is can electromagnetic induction occur in a single straight wire by changing B the magnetic field that crosses the wire? would there be electromagnetic flux and what is its formula that could be equivalent to this formula that is in case of a solenoid: Φ=NBScos(n,B)

we used to create induce current(case of closed circuit) by changing the magnetic field in a solenoid or a geometrical shape, but what i meant to ask is that can we create an induced current through a single straight wire by changing B(the magnetic field)? sure the circuit is closed but i am changing B on one single straight wire of the circuit.

Are you asking if i have a square loop of wire and then let's say i put a solenoid in the middle and then raise the B field inside with that induce current in the wire loop. Then yes it would induce current. Or let's say I drop a bar magnet next to a straight piece of wire, it would cause electrons to move in the wire. Or if i had a superconducting wire and i placed it in a B field, it would generate surface currents to cancel the B field inside the superconductor.

what i meant to ask is the following: If I start moving a bar magnet toward and away a straight piece of single wire, would i induce a voltage, thus inducing a current in case of a closed circuit? would there be electromagnetic flux and what is its formula that could be equivalent to this formula that is in case of a solenoid: Φ=NBScos(n,B)

thanks for answering

1. Can electromagnetic induction occur in a single straight wire?

Yes, electromagnetic induction can occur in a single straight wire. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in 1831 and is now known as Faraday's law of induction.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work in a single straight wire?

Electromagnetic induction occurs when a changing magnetic field passes through a conductor, such as a single straight wire. This creates an electric current in the wire, which in turn creates a magnetic field that opposes the original change in magnetic field.

3. What are some examples of electromagnetic induction in a single straight wire?

One common example of electromagnetic induction in a single straight wire is the use of generators. Generators use the principle of electromagnetic induction to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy by rotating a coil of wire in a magnetic field.

4. Can electromagnetic induction occur in a single straight wire without a magnetic field?

No, electromagnetic induction requires a changing magnetic field to occur in a single straight wire. Without a magnetic field, there would be no force to induce an electric current in the wire.

5. How is electromagnetic induction in a single straight wire related to electricity and magnetism?

Electromagnetic induction is a fundamental principle that links electricity and magnetism. It demonstrates the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric current, and is essential in many modern technologies such as generators, motors, and transformers.