1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can electronegativity be the same for 2 elements?

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    Between Sulfur and Iodine, which has more Electronegativity? I read that they both have the same, if so how can i determine in SI2 compound around which atom do the shared electrons spend more with with(Since that is determined by which atom has greater electronegativity)

Or maybe they spend equal amounts of time around both atoms since electronegativity is the same?

this is with covalent boding by the way

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2
    Some charts say they're the same, others do not. The textbook I have states sulfur and iodine have an electronegativity of 2.5.

But yes your correct, the electrons spend an equal amount of time around both atoms. Remember, this bond is NON POLAR covalent since the electronegativities equal 0 (2.5-2.5=0). Therefore, neither has the partial positive/negative charge.

4. Jul 9, 2011 #3
    no it can't happen
    electonegativity must be different for element to another
    because the number of protons,electrons,atomic radius and number of energie lvls are different between elemnts.
    the problem is that some numbers are very close like (2.489347458 and 2.497483834) well, those long numbers are approximated.(2.5 and 2.5)
    in the case of Sulfur and Iodine difrence of electonegativity is very small -> nonpolar covalent bond (same->most of oraganic compound C-H )
    so the electrons spend a bit longer time around the more electronegative element (u must have the original number)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook