Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can gears increase Holding Torque of a stepper motor?

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I know you can use gears to increase the torque of a motor while it is rotating, but what about when it is still? Will the holding torque be any different from the case without gears?

I expect that there won't be any advantage, but want to make sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can increase torque without rotation, too. It is the same concept.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    Interesting, can you guide me to a scientific reference (book, magazine, or any 'scientific' website) ?

5. Apr 13, 2013 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I mean, you don't need a reference. You just need to know
    [tex]\vec{M} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/tex]

6. Apr 13, 2013 #5
    Thanks I know it.
    But if I can always use some gears to increase torque then why would I ever buy an expensive motor with high holding torque? Because it is simpler?

7. Apr 13, 2013 #6
    I also have another question.

Using gears with the motor will require the use of bearing. For two additional gears there will be some four bearings to support. The bearing themselves are not cheap. What is, then, best trade here? Going with high torque motor w/o gears or low torque w/ gears and bearing?

8. Apr 13, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, then you need a gear with high holding torque. In addition, I don't think holding is the only thing the motor should ever do - otherwise you can just fix the stuff to the floor/wall/ceiling.
    I think that really depends on the application.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook