Can gears increase Holding Torque of a stepper motor?

In summary: If you need high torque for heavy loads, then investing in a high torque motor may be worth it. However, if the load is not as heavy, using gears and bearings may be a more cost-effective option. In summary, using gears can increase torque in a motor even when it is still. However, there may not be a significant advantage in terms of holding torque. It ultimately depends on the application and whether investing in a high torque motor or using gears and bearings is the best trade-off. A scientific reference is not necessary, as the concept can be understood through the formula \vec{M} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}.
phys_student1
Hi,

I know you can use gears to increase the torque of a motor while it is rotating, but what about when it is still? Will the holding torque be any different from the case without gears?

I expect that there won't be any advantage, but want to make sure.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can increase torque without rotation, too. It is the same concept.

Interesting, can you guide me to a scientific reference (book, magazine, or any 'scientific' website) ?

I mean, you don't need a reference. You just need to know
[tex]\vec{M} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/tex]

Thanks I know it.
But if I can always use some gears to increase torque then why would I ever buy an expensive motor with high holding torque? Because it is simpler?

I also have another question.

Using gears with the motor will require the use of bearing. For two additional gears there will be some four bearings to support. The bearing themselves are not cheap. What is, then, best trade here? Going with high torque motor w/o gears or low torque w/ gears and bearing?

abumofeed said:
Thanks I know it.
But if I can always use some gears to increase torque then why would I ever buy an expensive motor with high holding torque? Because it is simpler?
Well, then you need a gear with high holding torque. In addition, I don't think holding is the only thing the motor should ever do - otherwise you can just fix the stuff to the floor/wall/ceiling.
What is, then, best trade here?
I think that really depends on the application.

1. How do gears increase the holding torque of a stepper motor?

Gears can increase the holding torque of a stepper motor by reducing the load on the motor itself. When the motor is connected to a gear system, the gear ratio allows for the motor to exert more force while using less current. This results in a higher holding torque for the motor.

2. What is the ideal gear ratio for increasing holding torque in a stepper motor?

The ideal gear ratio for increasing holding torque in a stepper motor will depend on the specific motor and application. Generally, a higher gear ratio will result in a higher holding torque, but it is important to consider the motor's maximum torque and the load it will be driving. A gear ratio that is too high may cause the motor to overheat or become overloaded.

3. Can using gears affect the precision of a stepper motor?

Yes, using gears can affect the precision of a stepper motor. Gears introduce backlash and other mechanical imperfections that can affect the accuracy of the motor's movement. It is important to use high-quality gears and properly calibrate the system to minimize these effects.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using gears to increase holding torque in a stepper motor?

While gears can increase the holding torque of a stepper motor, there are also some potential disadvantages. Gears add complexity and mechanical components to the system, which can increase the chances of failure or require additional maintenance. In addition, gears may also introduce additional noise and vibration to the motor.

5. Are there alternative methods for increasing holding torque in a stepper motor?

Yes, there are alternative methods for increasing holding torque in a stepper motor. These include using a higher voltage power supply, using a larger motor, or using a microstepping driver. Each of these methods has its own advantages and limitations, and the best approach will depend on the specific application and requirements.