Can I apply volume expansion this way?

In summary, an aluminum cup with a capacity of 120 cm3 filled with glycerin at 15°C will expand along with the aluminum when the temperature is raised to 34°C. Therefore, the amount of glycerin in the cup will not spill out.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

An aluminum cup of 120 cm3 capacity is filled with glycerin at 15°C. How much glycerin, if any, will spill out of the cup if the temperature of the cup and glycerin is raised to 34°;C?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can solve this no problem, but I have a question.

Does the capacity of the aluminum cup increase just like aluminum does? IE, would 120 cm3 of aluminum expand just like a 120 cm3 empty space within aluminum?

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Does the capacity of the aluminum cup increase just like aluminum does? IE, would 120 cm3 of aluminum expand just like a 120 cm3 empty space within aluminum?

Yes.
Imagine you fill the empty volume of the cup (120 cm3) with the same aluminium, and say, the volume of the wall is 50 cm3. You have then Vo=Vfilling +Vwall=170 cm3 of aluminium altogether which volume will increase by a factor of k=(1+βΔT).
So the new volume of the whole piece of aluminium is V=kVo=170k=(120+50)k=120k +50k.

(1+βΔT)Vo=(1+βΔT)(Vfilling) +(1+βΔT)(Vwall) The volume of the filling is the same as the volume of the empty place inside the cup, so they increase by the same amount.

ehild

1. Can I use the ideal gas law to determine the volume expansion of a gas?

Yes, the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, can be used to determine the volume expansion of a gas. This equation takes into account the relationship between pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), temperature (T), and the universal gas constant (R).

2. Is volume expansion affected by changes in temperature and pressure?

Yes, volume expansion is affected by changes in both temperature and pressure. According to the ideal gas law, an increase in temperature or a decrease in pressure will result in an increase in volume, and vice versa.

3. Can I use volume expansion to measure the amount of gas released during a chemical reaction?

Yes, volume expansion can be used to measure the amount of gas released during a chemical reaction. By measuring the change in volume of a gas at constant temperature and pressure, the amount of gas produced can be determined using the ideal gas law.

4. What are the limitations of using volume expansion to determine gas quantities?

One limitation of using volume expansion is that it assumes the gas behaves ideally, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it only applies to gases at low pressures and high temperatures. Some gases, such as water vapor, may also exhibit non-ideal behavior at certain temperatures and pressures.

5. How can I account for non-ideal behavior when using volume expansion?

To account for non-ideal behavior, corrections can be made to the ideal gas law equation. These corrections take into account the interactions between gas molecules, as well as the volume occupied by the molecules themselves. Alternatively, a more accurate equation of state, such as the van der Waals equation, can be used to calculate volume expansion.