1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can i do this to prove convergence of improper integral

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    given the improper integral from 0 to 1 of

[tex]\int[/tex]dx/[tex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/tex](ee-e-x)

i am asked if it comverges or diverges,

what i have learned is that if i can find :
    -a similar function that is bigger than my function and that i know converges, then my function also converges
    -a similar function that is smaller than my function and that i know dicerges, then my function also diverges
    -a function g(x) such that
    lim f(x)/g(x)=K, (K not 0, not infinity) then f(x) acts like g(x)
    x->inf

my similar function g(x) is 1/3[tex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/tex] which is smaller than f(x), BUT my g(x) converges, so that doesnt prove anything according to the 1st 2 conditions,

generally can i use the 3rd condition even though my integral is from 0 to 1 and not to infinity??
    in this case that too doesnt work. what can i do from here??

if not how would you solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Dell! :smile:

(i assume you mean /(ex - e-x))

Hint: the only difficulty is at x = 0 …

so what is the integrand approximately equal to near x = 0? :wink:

4. Apr 12, 2009 #3
    my mistake, the e^e is meant to read e^x,,, dont know if that makes much of a difference

really cant find anything that helps me 1/(2x^4/3) is very close near x=0, but 1/(2x^4/3) diverges and it is bigger so it doesnt really help me,... unless i can say
    lim fx/gx = 1
    x->inf

can i do that since my integral is not to infinity,?? also im not sure they ar similar when x gets vey big

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook