Can I find experimental data for the decay of Iodine-131?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
cj9
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I'm currently undergoing an assignment in maths were it is is necessary to apply mathematical concepts to aspects in reality. Hence, I have chosen to model the radioactive decay of iodine 131, however I am required to plot the data of the radioactive decay of iodine 131, in order to find the equation rather than using the half-life. Is it possible to find experimental data for its decay.

I intend to find the equation of the function by graphing the data in order to get a negative exponential function.

If it helps my assignment is relevant to radioactive materials (iodine 131) leaked in the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster.

Anything would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "find the equation"?
cj9 said:
Is it possible to find experimental data for its decay.
I doubt anyone collected a large sample of I-131 and then watched it decaying for months. That would be quite pointless.

There are publications measuring the half-life, did you search those?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cj9 and stoomart
mfb said:
What do you mean by "find the equation"?
I doubt anyone collected a large sample of I-131 and then watched it decaying for months. That would be quite pointless.

There are publications measuring the half-life, did you search those?

Thanks for your response.

I intend to find the equation of the function by graphing the data in order to get a negative exponential function. Do you recommend any publications?

If it helps my assignment is relevant to radioactive materials (iodine 131) leaked in the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster.
Thanks
 
Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
https://ehs.missouri.edu/rad/isotopedata/i-131decaytable.pdf

Zz.

Much appreciated

What is that website in case I need data for other radioactive material.
 
cj9 said:
Much appreciated

What is that website in case I need data for other radioactive material.

Er... I found it using Google!

Zz.
 
Here is a directory of similar data sheets from the same website.

https://ehs.missouri.edu/rad/isotopedata.html
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cj9
mfb said:
Those tables look like computed values, not measurements.
Is it difficult to find measurements?
 
Someone has measured the lifetime, and there was probably more than one measurement. Just look for references to those papers to find experimental data.