Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I get some physicists opinion on this experiment

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    Can I get some peoples opinion on this experiment. experimentdemonstration.jpg In this experiment I should clarify. The apparatus is initially at rest. The end spin of the apparatus will be the same in both experiments and in experiment 1 and 2 there will be two sources of torque acting on the apparatus- torque from the motor and torque from the tension in the chain. In both experiments the torques should be the same but in opposite directions. In experiment 1 the torque from the motor will be greater then the torque applied by the chain however in experiment 2 the torque applied by the chain will be greater then the torque applied by the motor.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The title of your experiment is "Demsonstrating Violation of Angular Momentum". If you have an external torque acting on the system, angular momentum will not be conserved...

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3
    There will not me external torque acting on the apparatus. Its a closed system. The sources for torque acting on the apparatus will be from the motors attached to the rod and by the tension in the chain. The points of force applied to the rod by the chain will occure at object x (as depiced) but also at tangents to wheel B and the pulley(which is attached to wheel A).

5. Jan 19, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

So then you are trying to show that you can violate conservation of angular momentum in a closed system, eh?

This thread is locked. You can re-post after you get your experiment published in a mainstream scientific journal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook