Can I measure the Solar Constant this way?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for measuring the Solar Constant in a cold environment, with the main focus on finding a simple and accurate way to do so. Suggestions include using a solar cell, a hot water bottle or sealed plastic bag, or creating a makeshift pyrheliometer. The concept of global solar radiation and equations for estimating it are also mentioned. The Solar Constant is defined outside the atmosphere but may be referred to as irradiance on the surface.
SimpliciusH
I need a simple way to measure the Solar Constant in a cold environemt (Norther Hemisphere, this time of year ;) ).While its easy to think of ways in which the Sun can heat up something for you...putting for example a bottle filled with water colored black due to ink dosen't seem like a good way of going about it. How am I supposed to figure out how much energy from the sun per square meter the bottle absorbes? How many joules the bottle warmed up is trivial, but where do I get the surface? Do I just take the surface of the bottle or just the surface directly exposed to sunlight or something entirely different?

Also any ideas on how to isolate whatever I'll be heating? Outside the ground is probably chilled already and will drain energy faster the warmer it will get... reducing the already laughable accuracy.

Sure I think just buying a solar cell and measuring the amps from the thing would be the easiest way, but I think they are quite affordable esp since I'm unlikley to use them for anythign else. This is quite a fun project for a kid but I'm wondering how close you could actually get with improvised gear? Any ideas on how to make measurement easier, more accurate?

Thanks for the responses. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered bag such as a hot water bottle or, if you must have it transparent, a sealed plastic bag with water in it? That way, the bag will lie flat and its area will be that of a rectangle, "width times length".

I would suggest searching around for information on a "pyrheliometer". It uses a collimating tube with a black object/disc that it being monitored for temperature. I don't think making a crude one out of everyday objects would be too difficult. If you can't find any good info, let me know and I'll try to explain it a little better.

Are you looking for global solar radiation on a horizontal surface in Joules/square meter? That information is generally available on the internet. Search for "Solar radiation data" for the country you are interested in. The US and Canada have solar radiation maps that can give you long term averages by month.

He could also use equations to estimate incident radiation (Lui and Jordan, Hay and Davies, etc), but I assumed he wanted to determine things experimentally.

The Solar Constant is defined outside the atmosphere. On the surface it may be called irradiance.

Thanks for the replies guys. :) And yes I'm not searching for the data, I'm trying to figure out how to acquire it experimentally.

1. Can I use a solar panel to measure the Solar Constant?

Yes, a solar panel can be used to measure the Solar Constant. The Solar Constant is the amount of solar radiation received at the outer atmosphere of the Earth and can be measured by determining the output of a solar panel facing directly towards the sun.

2. Is it possible to measure the Solar Constant using a thermometer?

No, a thermometer cannot be used to measure the Solar Constant. The Solar Constant is a measure of solar radiation, not temperature. A thermometer only measures the temperature of an object or environment.

3. Can I calculate the Solar Constant using the size of the sun and its distance from Earth?

Yes, the Solar Constant can be calculated using the size of the sun and its distance from Earth. The equation for calculating the Solar Constant is: Solar Constant = L / (4πd^2), where L is the luminosity of the sun and d is the distance from the sun to Earth.

4. Is it possible to measure the Solar Constant on a cloudy day?

No, it is not possible to accurately measure the Solar Constant on a cloudy day. Clouds block a significant portion of solar radiation, so the output of a solar panel would not be accurate. The Solar Constant is typically measured on clear, sunny days.

5. Can I use a satellite to measure the Solar Constant?

Yes, a satellite can be used to measure the Solar Constant. Satellites have instruments that can measure the amount of solar radiation received at different altitudes in the Earth's atmosphere. This data can then be used to calculate the Solar Constant.