Can I run a 240W electric turbo with a separate alternator?

  • Thread starter Thread starter joseph707
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
joseph707
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
I need 240 watts to power an electric turbo.
I need 240 watts to power an electric turbo on my car. Can I install a separate alternator dedicated to the electric turbo only, and if so how? Or do I need only one high watt alternator, and what about battery charge?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
joseph707 said:
I need 240 watts to power an electric turbo on my car.
A “turbo” is a "turbo-charger" which has an exhaust turbine driving the air pump. You want to replace the turbine with an electric motor, which makes it an electric “super-charger”.

You can do any of the things you suggest. Do you have room for another alternator? What are the specifications for the electric motor on the super-charger you will use?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
joseph707 said:
Can I install a separate alternator dedicated to the electric turbo only, and if so how?
Unless you have some experience in this kind of modifications/tuning and/or it's already some 'does not matter' kind of vehicle, I suggest to find somebody who already made similar feats (or buy a modkit, with detailed instructions, if available).

These kind of things are dangerous enough on their own: done by somebody inexperienced would not help.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cabraham
joseph707 said:
Or do I need only one high watt alternator, and what about battery charge?
We cannot tell if your existing alternator can provide the current, because we do not know the make and model of the vehicle or alternator. Alternator catalogues often list compatible alternators with different capacity. It is possible that replacing filament headlamps with LEDs could provide the extra current needed without replacing the alternator.
 
A normal supercharger can draw up to 20% of engine power, eg 40hp from a 200hp engine.

Your electric one draws 240W, or about 0.3 hp, or about 1/100 that of a conventional type. I can’t imagine it would return a noticeable amount of power.

In any case, 240W requires somewhere under 20A, and would be drawn ‘on boost’ so I would guess your alternator already has enough headroom to cope.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jrmichler
Guineafowl said:
I can’t imagine it would return a noticeable amount of power.

This company:
http://www.supergen.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=589

Sells them and the smallest one they sell is a 10kW unit. It comes with an integrated 5kW generator. You also need another battery installed.

0.24kW does seem a bit small.

BoB
 
Guineafowl said:
I can’t imagine it would return a noticeable amount of power.
rbelli1 said:
0.24kW does seem a bit small.
That is what I thought also at first, but - if I understood correctly - they are used as a booster shot of power, a little bit like nitrous oxide systems are used.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G