Can I use battery w/ higher voltage than specified?

In summary: You might want to look into a power distribution board too so that you have a more organized and tidy installation.
camrocker
I've got two monitors I am trying to power with a battery. They accept 19V @ 1.3A each, and I'll have them in parallel off a single battery, so they'll need 19V @ 2.3A from the battery. I'm looking at http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=56845. The specifications say 22.2V. Can I still use this directly with the monitors? Or would I have to use some resistors to lower the voltage before it got to the monitors?

Engineering news on Phys.org
camrocker said:
They accept 19V @ 1.3A each

Welcome to the PF.

Their datasheets or User's Manuals don't show a range of input voltages allowed? Have you tried calling their Technical Support folks to ask for advice?

What is the exact monitor type and specification. Usually a 19 volt supply is used to keep a 4 cell Lithium Ion powered system charged. The 4 cell pack voltage is about 16.8 V so you need the extra voltage for a direct (without another DC-DC switcher) connection to the internal charger electronics but I have seen that voltage used in some LCD monitors with external power bricks.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Their datasheets or User's Manuals don't show a range of input voltages allowed? Have you tried calling their Technical Support folks to ask for advice?
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm using this Acer R240HY bidx monitor. I'll try their support now. There doesn't seem to be specifications for input power on the Internet, but the power brick and sticker on the monitor state 19V at 1.3A DC power.
nsaspook said:
What is the exact monitor type and specification. Usually a 19 volt supply is used to keep a 4 cell Lithium Ion powered system charged. The 4 cell pack voltage is about 16.8 V so you need the extra voltage for a direct (without another DC-DC switcher) connection to the internal charger electronics but I have seen that voltage used in some LCD monitors with external power bricks.
Perhaps I should've been more specific in my original post - sorry about that! As stated above, I'm using the Acer R240HY bidx. This monitor has an external power brick, so the screen accepts straight DC power. The output on the brick (and the sticker on the monitor) state 19V at 1.3A.

I just looked at a similar type Acer service manual online. The 19 volt circuit is a direct tie into some of the electronics so I would suspect the nominal voltage tolerance would be fairly tight (maybe 10%). The safe way to handle the voltage difference would be to use a DC-DC converter to deliver the correct voltage to the monitor.

They sell fairly cheap ones designed for a car 12vdc battery input.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S0UFR14/?tag=pfamazon01-20

100_0229.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman and davenn
nsaspook said:
I just looked at a similar type Acer service manual online. The 19 volt circuit is a direct tie into some of the electronics so I would suspect the nominal voltage tolerance would be fairly tight (maybe 10%). The safe way to handle the voltage difference would be to use a DC-DC converter to deliver the correct voltage to the monitor.

They sell fairly cheap ones designed for a car 12vdc battery input.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S0UFR14/?tag=pfamazon01-20

View attachment 107453
Unfortunately the Amazon link is for 12V, not 22.2V, and I don't know enough to follow the circuit schemata you've got there. I found this DC-DC regulator on batteryspace, which I might be forced to buy given my time constraints and the current state of my project. This has a max throughput of 4A, which should be fine (the LCDs should draw 3.6A), so if I buy that and a power distribution board, everything with the battery I'm looking at should work, right?

camrocker said:
Unfortunately the Amazon link is for 12V, not 22.2V, and I don't know enough to follow the circuit schemata you've got there. I found this DC-DC regulator on batteryspace, which I might be forced to buy given my time constraints and the current state of my project. This has a max throughput of 4A, which should be fine (the LCDs should draw 3.6A), so if I buy that and a power distribution board, everything with the battery I'm looking at should work, right?

That should work.

Likes camrocker

1. Can I use a battery with a higher voltage than what is specified for my device?

It is generally not recommended to use a battery with a higher voltage than what is specified for your device. Doing so can damage your device and potentially cause safety hazards. It is important to use the battery that is specifically recommended for your device to ensure proper functioning and safety.

2. What are the risks of using a battery with a higher voltage?

Using a battery with a higher voltage can result in overloading and damaging your device's circuitry. This can lead to malfunctions, overheating, and potentially cause electrical fires. Using a higher voltage battery can also void the warranty of your device.

3. Can a device designed for a lower voltage battery handle a higher voltage?

No, a device designed for a lower voltage battery is not equipped to handle a higher voltage. The circuitry and components are specifically designed to work with a certain voltage, and using a higher voltage battery can cause damage to these components.

4. Is it safe to use a higher voltage battery in an emergency situation?

No, it is not safe to use a higher voltage battery in an emergency. Using a battery with a higher voltage can cause damage to your device and potentially cause safety hazards. It is always best to use the recommended battery for your device, even in emergency situations.

5. Can I modify my device to use a higher voltage battery?

It is not recommended to modify your device to use a higher voltage battery. Doing so can permanently damage your device and potentially cause safety hazards. It is always best to use the recommended battery for your device to ensure proper functioning and safety.