Can I work at an engineering company while going to school?

In summary: You have to start as an assembler, technician, and learn. Sometimes you have to take on things that you are not supposed to in order to move up. Sometimes people listen to you and give you better work the next time. It's all about hard work and becoming better at what you do.
ThomasG
First off I would like to say I will be going to school in the fall for engineering. ( mechanical or electrical engineering ) I know there are many different type of engineers, so please don't say "well there are many different type of engineers" I am working as an engine, tranny tech at a car shop. My question is, will I be able to work at an engineering company wile I go to school? Again I will be starting my class's this fall. I just want to quite my job and in some way get my foot the door to the career I want. I know I can't be an intern or an engineer but I was hoping for something. Should I wait for my internship or do I have a small chance to do something at an engineering company?

Engineering news on Phys.org

I don't know intern is the right word, I would not hire an engineer ":want to be" and train the person. Do you know how to read schematic, do you know how to solder, making cables harness? Start as an assembler, technician and learn. That's how I got started. I started as a technician. I studied all the circuit that was given to me, then I made suggestions. If you are good, people will listen to you and they'll give you better work the next time. That's how you move up. Nobody will hire you to train you as a trainee.

Start low, you want to be notice, pay your dues, work hard, take on things that you are not supposed to, come up with better solution and presents to others and let the chip falls. AND remember, there is a fine line drawn between over stepping your boundary and constructive suggestion. You don't want to come out as an A$$, feel what direction the wind blows and ride along.

Last edited:

I understand that no one would hire a "want to be engineer" I was asking if I could at least work in a engineering company as a low level nobuddy. I work now as an automotive technician and I am very good at wiring schematics. I went to a vocational school for automotive and went to a automotive trade school after high school and have been working on cars/truck/mechanics all my life. I was wondering if there were an potions that I could work that would prepare me or help me at engineering. (NOT looking too just get an engineering job without the school/work)

Yes, I thought I answer your question already. This usually how it works.

I can say that it is definitely possible to work at an engineering company while going to school. Many engineering companies offer part-time or flexible work options for students, and it can be a great opportunity to gain practical experience while studying. However, it is important to keep in mind that the demands of engineering school can be quite rigorous, so it is important to assess your workload and make sure you are able to balance both work and school effectively. Additionally, it may be beneficial to reach out to engineering companies in your area and inquire about any available positions or internships that may align with your interests and skills. While it may be challenging to secure a position without prior engineering experience, it is not impossible. It is important to remain persistent and proactive in your job search and to continue building your skills and knowledge through your studies. Good luck in your pursuits!

1. Can I work at an engineering company while going to school?

Yes, it is possible to work at an engineering company while going to school. Many engineering companies offer part-time or internship positions for students.

2. Will working at an engineering company conflict with my school schedule?

It depends on the specific company and your school schedule. Some companies may offer flexible work hours or allow you to work remotely, while others may require you to work during regular business hours. It is important to communicate your availability and schedule with your employer to ensure a manageable work-school balance.

3. Will working at an engineering company affect my grades?

Balancing work and school can be challenging, but it is possible to maintain good grades while working at an engineering company. Effective time management and prioritization of tasks are key to successfully juggling both responsibilities.

4. Are there any benefits to working at an engineering company while in school?

Yes, there are several benefits to working at an engineering company while in school. It can provide valuable hands-on experience, networking opportunities, and potential job prospects after graduation. It can also help with financial stability and may even lead to scholarships or tuition assistance programs.

5. How can I find a job at an engineering company while in school?

There are several ways to find a job at an engineering company while in school. You can search for job openings on company websites, job search engines, or career fairs. Networking with professionals in the engineering field and utilizing your school's career center can also be helpful in finding job opportunities.