Can light affected be affected by noise as other signals?I am not

In summary, you cannot teach a man anything; you can only find it within yourself."Also, you can put in a permanent quote from your user control panel so you don't have to keep typing it in. It also keeps it from being quoted along with the rest of your post when someone quotes you.
zakee.fancy
Can light affected be affected by noise as other signals?
I am not able to figure it out..if I am amplifying the light using some optical
amplifier,will there be any effects of noise in it?

Regards
zakee

Science news on Phys.org

Which type of noise?
An optical amplifier can have noise from unwanted photons or other sources.

Absolutely. The types of noise depend on the conditions you have. If you have a light source where you are also getting a lot of "light pollution", IE unwanted light from other sources, that will be noise. The sensor itself will have noise during readout as well. Even without these you will have noise thanks to the random nature of when photons are emitted and received.

Drakkith said:
Absolutely. The types of noise depend on the conditions you have. If you have a light source where you are also getting a lot of "light pollution", IE unwanted light from other sources, that will be noise. The sensor itself will have noise during readout as well. Even without these you will have noise thanks to the random nature of when photons are emitted and received.

thanks for the reply..do u have an idea how to start learning photonics..i m interested in this field but there are far too many concepts too master..i have done my undergrad in electronics and I am starting as a master's student in photonics.it wud be great if you can give me some idea where from where to start.I know basic electromagnetics but there is still too much too learn..hope to hear from you soon.

zakee.fancy said:
thanks for the reply..do u have an idea how to start learning photonics..i m interested in this field but there are far too many concepts too master..i have done my undergrad in electronics and I am starting as a master's student in photonics.it wud be great if you can give me some idea where from where to start.I know basic electromagnetics but there is still too much too learn..hope to hear from you soon.

Got me, I haven't even started my undergrad work in optical engineering like I want to. Hit up the academic help forums is my suggestion.

Also, you can put in a permanent quote from your user control panel so you don't have to keep typing it in. It also keeps it from being quoted along with the rest of your post when someone quotes you.

1. Can light be affected by noise?

Yes, light can be affected by noise. Noise refers to any unwanted or random disturbance in a signal, and light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that can be disrupted by external factors. This can result in changes in the intensity, direction, or frequency of light.

2. Can light be affected by noise as other signals?

Yes, light can be affected by noise in a similar way as other signals. Just like other forms of electromagnetic radiation, light can be susceptible to noise from external sources such as electrical interference or atmospheric disturbances. This can cause distortion or interruption in the transmission of light.

3. What types of noise can affect light?

There are various types of noise that can affect light, including thermal noise, shot noise, and flicker noise. Thermal noise is caused by the random motion of particles in a medium, while shot noise is generated by the discrete nature of light particles (photons). Flicker noise, also known as 1/f noise, is caused by fluctuations in the power supply or electronic components.

4. How can noise affect the quality of light?

Noise can affect the quality of light in several ways. It can cause changes in the intensity or frequency of light, which can affect the clarity and color of the light. In some cases, noise can also disrupt the transmission of light, leading to data loss or errors in communication systems that rely on light signals.

5. How can noise be minimized in light signals?

There are various methods for minimizing noise in light signals, including shielding, filtering, and signal amplification. Shielding involves using materials or techniques to block external sources of noise from affecting the light signal. Filtering involves using electronic components to remove specific frequencies of noise from the signal. Signal amplification can also help to reduce the impact of noise by strengthening the signal and making it less susceptible to interference.