1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can light affected be affected by noise as other signals?I am not

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    Can light affected be affected by noise as other signals?
    I am not able to figure it out..if I am amplifying the light using some optical
    amplifier,will there be any effects of noise in it?

Regards
    zakee

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: light

Which type of noise?
    An optical amplifier can have noise from unwanted photons or other sources.

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Absolutely. The types of noise depend on the conditions you have. If you have a light source where you are also getting a lot of "light pollution", IE unwanted light from other sources, that will be noise. The sensor itself will have noise during readout as well. Even without these you will have noise thanks to the random nature of when photons are emitted and received.

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4

thanks for the reply..do u have an idea how to start learning photonics..i m interested in this field but there are far too many concepts too master..i have done my undergrad in electronics and I am starting as a master's student in photonics.it wud be great if you can give me some idea where from where to start.I know basic electromagnetics but there is still too much too learn..hope to hear from you soon.

6. Oct 19, 2012 #5

Drakkith

Got me, I haven't even started my undergrad work in optical engineering like I want to. Hit up the academic help forums is my suggestion.

Also, you can put in a permanent quote from your user control panel so you don't have to keep typing it in. It also keeps it from being quoted along with the rest of your post when someone quotes you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook