1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can light be synthetically created ?

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1
    If I use two sources , one for alternating electric field ( frequency equal to the frequency of a wave in visible spectrum ) , one for alternating magnetic field (frequency equal to the frequency of a wave in visible spectrum ) and make them intersect each other at 90 degrees in mid air will i be able to see light in mid air ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

How would you make such fields?

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3

fedaykin

Gold Member

You don't have to have the alternating electric field. In your antenna, the alternating electric field necessarily creates an alternating magnetic field.

Creating an antenna for lower frequency waves is not a problem, but as far as I know, no one has created any circuitry that oscillate with visible light frequency due to hysteresis, noise, and reactance problems.

5. Sep 9, 2013 #4
    i was thinking it to be a thought experiment , for example i'm rotating a magnet and an electric dipole (both kept at large distance ) , the axis of rotation of the magnet and the electric dipole is perpendicular to each other , and they are rotating with same angular frequency as the frequency of visible spectrum . So if i take a point in between these sources i'll be having an alternating electric field and an alternating magnetic field perpendicular to each other with frequency equivalent to the frequency of light .

6. Sep 9, 2013 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Rotating a magnet will produce an e-field as well as the b-field. That is how a generator works.

I don't know a way to produce the kinds of fields that you are talking about in the OP. I suspect that they are not compatible with Maxwell's equations, but I don't know for sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook